Re: Finding a job sucks thread

Thanks buds. Yeah, I don't blame them, it's cheaper for sure to hire internally, shows that career progression is important, helps shift things around elsewhere, etc. And I've definitely been the person grumbling about outside hires being made when myself or someone else could have filled the role at my last company. The recruiter at least definitely said they'd want to keep me in mind in the future, etc and it seemed very genuine vs. other times when I haven't gotten a role.
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com

Maurice wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:37 pm
tallchris wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:03 am Welp, didn't get the job. Recruiter says they went with an internal candidate. Sigh.
Aw, man. That's definitely frustrating. Absolute best wishes for the next thing to come through.
It's infuriating when that happens (one potential employer did that to me this time around, back in May). For what little it's worth, you have my sympathies.

Well, I heard from a recruiter today for a job I'd applied for a couple weeks ago, and she wanted me to write up some responses for hiring screen questions that go to the hiring manager, then called me back a couple hours later and said the hiring manager wants to go ahead and just schedule an interview as well. Also a former manager at the place I didn't get the job at reached out to someone at another company on my behalf about another job that was just posted yesterday.

Certainly feels like something will pan out sooner than later (oh and then we get to figure out childcare since my wife and I have been taking care of our kid between the two of us full time but that's for another thread).
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com

I am simultaneously drawn to and repulsed by this thread. It's a brutal time to find work in a lot of areas, so well done to everyone for surviving it this far. Hope things change quickly for you all. It's a fucking miserable slog, though.

In a similar boat. Sector I work in has turned into a shitshow here, so there's few jobs advertised and constant cuts to the existing budgets/workforce. Due to this most local authorities are only considering internal applicants, so even working further away is removed as an option.

Currently in the running for a one year, part-time, temp position in the place I've worked more or less full-time for several years. This is as good as it gets right now, so I'm one of the lucky ones. Permanent positions require paid holidays, so they are rarely offered out nowadays for cost cutting reasons, and usually have someone earmarked for the posts internally. So here we are. If I get it... it won't pay the bills, but it just about stops me being starved out the profession, like most people I know without a permanent contract. But that's an if that won't be resolved for another two months.

Still without a job, it's gonna be one year at the end of Augusts. Didn't work for personal reasons, and had some money saved up to be able to do so, but I'm terrified of going back to any work place. Had horrible experiences with my last two bosses, both of whom have bullied me into quitting. The world is a shitty place to find a decent job right now.
Nothing major here. Just a regular EU cock. I pull it out and there is beans all over my penis. Bean shells all over my penis...

Lu Zwei wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:01 am Still without a job, it's gonna be one year at the end of Augusts. Didn't work for personal reasons, and had some money saved up to be able to do so, but I'm terrified of going back to any work place. Had horrible experiences with my last two bosses, both of whom have bullied me into quitting. The world is a shitty place to find a decent job right now.
That's horrible man. You'll have all sorts of anxiety about going back to work, but you will manage it eventually. If you can find somewhere decent to work the fear will slowly go. Right now, you've had recent shit experiences of it. That's bound to change how your brain reacts to the idea of it, but it's not permanent. You'll get there. Might take some time and terrify you, but you'll get there.

Where was all this interest in hiring me before I landed a contract position?

So I accepted a 24-month (this is an upper bound, either the company or I can break things off at any time) contract position with "Company A". Which is an undeniably solid name, one which will look good on a resume, although the fact that it's a contract job will undermine that somewhat. And the pay, although a step down from what I made previously, isn't terrible.

Since I agreed to accept the offer in late June, the requests to talk with hiring managers have been coming in. Not inundated, but a decent stream of them. The most recent of which is a company in Southern California who wants me to fly down for an interview.

I am now faced with the situation where I have to take an unpaid day off during my first or second week for an interview which may not lead to a job offer, and if it does, I have to consider pulling up stakes and moving to SoCal. It makes me wonder if I actually should have taken that bird in the hand.

Garth wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:32 am
Garth wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:10 am I have my first interview scheduled in like 10+ years. It's not a job offer but it is a relief knowing that my experience seems to count for something and that it translated to my resume and cover letter adequately.
Interview concluded. I did not embarrass myself, but I still feel feel really shaken up for some reason...like I just experienced some sort of low-level trauma incident. Hopefully future interviews will lessen the impact.

I do not know that my skills are a perfect fit for what they are looking for & no amount of interview prep can fix that. Deeply concerned that this is going to be a long, long slog and that I fucked myself by not getting more specialized.
Update, this thread could use some good news so yeah I just signed an offer (not at all related to the above) and I start the day after Labor Day fittingly enough & 2 weeks before my severance runs out.

A recruiter found me through linked in and got me the interview at a place that I had already applied to immediately in May and was rejected by whatever shit HR bot filters. This is a local in-person position. I had ZERO traction w/ the remote-only positions sadly, but should have some remote options down the road.

Doing sound was very good to me this summer and helped keep me from going nuts. I considered pivoting to that as full-time employment but I'm not sure I want to accelerate my eventual hearing loss. And let's be honest, the pay isn't great, the hours are terrible, and is frequently be more stressful than when I was slogging through a lunch rush as a line cook with a 3-alarm hangover.

Very fortunate to have had that as a a fall-back though and really enjoyed that work through this summer.

Garth wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:41 am
Garth wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:32 am
Garth wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:10 am I have my first interview scheduled in like 10+ years. It's not a job offer but it is a relief knowing that my experience seems to count for something and that it translated to my resume and cover letter adequately.
Interview concluded. I did not embarrass myself, but I still feel feel really shaken up for some reason...like I just experienced some sort of low-level trauma incident. Hopefully future interviews will lessen the impact.

I do not know that my skills are a perfect fit for what they are looking for & no amount of interview prep can fix that. Deeply concerned that this is going to be a long, long slog and that I fucked myself by not getting more specialized.
Update, this thread could use some good news so yeah I just signed an offer (not at all related to the above) and I start the day after Labor Day fittingly enough & 2 weeks before my severance runs out.

A recruiter found me through linked in and got me the interview at a place that I had already applied to immediately in May and was rejected by whatever shit HR bot filters. This is a local in-person position. I had ZERO traction w/ the remote-only positions sadly, but should have some remote options down the road.

Doing sound was very good to me this summer and helped keep me from going nuts. I considered pivoting to that as full-time employment but I'm not sure I want to accelerate my eventual hearing loss. And let's be honest, the pay isn't great, the hours are terrible, and is frequently be more stressful than when I was slogging through a lunch rush as a line cook with a 3-alarm hangover.

Very fortunate to have had that as a a fall-back though and really enjoyed that work through this summer.
Congrats
https://instagram.com/homo_nyms_?igshid ... c2ODk2ZA==
https://slowdownmercury.bandcamp.com/