Re: Small questions that don't fit anywhere

Teacher's Pet wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:28 am
bassdriver wrote: Have any of you ever used/modified a Altec Lansing 1678c 8 Channel mixer as a mic preamp?
A friend bought one and asked me if I would do the work on it. I’ve found the schematics and a tape op thread on how to mod it.
Just curious if anyone has any experience with that model.
I bought a greenface one years ago and had it modified for direct outs. I also added a pad on each channel but I think I never needed them.
I used it as a permanent front end for an 8-track tape deck (Tascam 238) and I loved it.
Accessing the phantom power was a slight pain but otherwise it was great.

I compared it once to my other preamp option (Soundcraft EPM 12) shootout-style and I preferred the Altec, slightly.

My experience and expertise in the realm of pre-amps is rather thin and my rig was kinda lo-fi but what the hell, it sounded OK to me and was easy to use.
Even after the modifications it was relatively affordable, well under $1k total at that time. Looks cool too.
Cool, thanks. I think I’ll go with the tape op mod, adding input gain pods. If a pad should be needed I will suggest getting some Switchable attenuator for microphones thingies. Have yet to take a close look, but think I will remove the master board which will give me enough space to build in one of those FiveFish power supplies.

Thought maybe some worldly people in here couple help me - I sent a battery powered single ended preamplifier circuit with frustratingly sensitive inputs (8Meg input impedance) and unbalanced output (because guitar players) to Tokyo and had noise problems when plugged into a couple different amplifiers in two different building. Some other preamps were silent so I'm guessing it's my circuit.

Here in California it's silent when plugged into a grounded amplifier/mixer etc. Ungrounded output connection, I get 60hz loop hum, but if I "shield" it (route a ground path with some space away from my inputs), it's silent. I have a frequency converter and running at 100VAC/50hz, I get the same performance, silent when shielded or grounded, loop hum when ungrounded and unshielded.

Any thoughts?

I want a headphone amp.

Context. I have a Sonos system including a Port that casts my vinyl player. The Port has an Out, I’d like to sit and listen to records with headphones. So I need a simple one channel headphone amp.

Any recommendations? Please quote this question so I get notified.

Grazie.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

Gramsci wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 4:28 pm I want a headphone amp.

Context. I have a Sonos system including a Port that casts my vinyl player. The Port has an Out, I’d like to sit and listen to records with headphones. So I need a simple one channel headphone amp.

Grazie.
I have an earlier version of this https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-unity and like it just fine. You can add a dac module to it, but it doesn't sound like you'll need one since the Port has an analog out.
Formerly LouisSandwich and LotharSandwich, but I can never recover passwords somehow.

LuciousSandwich wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:34 pm
Gramsci wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 4:28 pm I want a headphone amp.

Grazie.
I have an earlier version of this https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-unity and like it just fine. You can add a dac module to it, but it doesn't sound like you'll need one since the Port has an analog out.
Perfect. Thanks. Although I’m pretty sure you pronounce that brand “shit”, which in itself is very cool. Looks like I can run the latest model in front of the Port, which is nice.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

four_oclocker_2.2 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:59 pm Fender Bassman amplifiers (heads, not combos.)

What's the deal? Seems like folks like these, I've never used one, but I'm curious. Anyone have a good rundown (or resource) on the difference between the different models/variations?
They're great amps. Most of them are kinda like the basic, normal-channel version of the 60's/70s Fender preamps, so i'd say if you dont like the sounds of the normal channel on a Twin or a Super, the Bassman might not be for you. A lot of people tend to dig them with English speakers to enforce the midrange a bit more.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thetonyballs/