Re: Politics

rsmurphy wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 1:01 pm Pete had a more than a few difficulties handling race issues in South Bend. Looking at it in the best light it had more to do with politics than some sort of moral deficiency. That being said it's so wrong to have to dismiss or play around with glaring racial inequities because to solve these crises wouldn't be politically expedient. Please don't come for me. I like Pete Buttigieg but politicians are gonna politic, 'specially the ones mired in our two-party system.
Let's be real here: to be a successful politician in America, and by that I mean not only get elected, but also get real policy passed, politicians have to naturally be conservative in their approach for broad consensus. Very few can be radical, like Bernie (his ideas actually aren't radical, just that his approach is not conservative... and well, he keeps it real and people respect him for it, but not the donors). We'll never get our ideal candidates, because the list of things the politicians must represent and create policy for is quite diverse. We end up voting for mostly symbolic reasons. Policy has to go through the democratic process of passing votes through congress and the courts, and part of that has to do with how leaders can get things done.

With that, I am all for voting down ticket for democrats. I don't necessarily agree with everything the party says or does, but I 100% disagree with everything republicans say or do, and the things they say or do have only gotten worse under Trump. At this point, I am for anything that does not further corrupt or add to the corrosion of our democracy, and from what I see that means the total annihilation of the current makeup of the republican party. Don't get me wrong here, I would love to see opposition parties... just not bad faith actors actively trying to destroy what we have to serve the few who have the most resource and power. I still remain cynical with democrats, but I believe that party is more reasonable and more receptive to the things that are important to me.

cakes wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 1:33 pm
rsmurphy wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 1:01 pm Pete had a more than a few difficulties handling race issues in South Bend. Looking at it in the best light it had more to do with politics than some sort of moral deficiency. That being said it's so wrong to have to dismiss or play around with glaring racial inequities because to solve these crises wouldn't be politically expedient. Please don't come for me. I like Pete Buttigieg but politicians are gonna politic, 'specially the ones mired in our two-party system.
Let's be real here: to be a successful politician in America, and by that I mean not only get elected, but also get real policy passed, politicians have to naturally be conservative in their approach for broad consensus. Very few can be radical, like Bernie (his ideas actually aren't radical, just that his approach is not conservative... and well, he keeps it real and people respect him for it, but not the donors). We'll never get our ideal candidates, because the list of things the politicians must represent and create policy for is quite diverse. We end up voting for mostly symbolic reasons. Policy has to go through the democratic process of passing votes through congress and the courts, and part of that has to do with how leaders can get things done.

With that, I am all for voting down ticket for democrats. I don't necessarily agree with everything the party says or does, but I 100% disagree with everything republicans say or do, and the things they say or do have only gotten worse under Trump. At this point, I am for anything that does not further corrupt or add to the corrosion of our democracy, and from what I see that means the total annihilation of the current makeup of the republican party. Don't get me wrong here, I would love to see opposition parties... just not bad faith actors actively trying to destroy what we have to serve the few who have the most resource and power. I still remain cynical with democrats, but I believe that party is more reasonable and more receptive to the things that are important to me.
And there I truly believed I thought I was being genteel in my take towards Pete as mayor! I didn't want to appear, like, you know, uppity or angy 😬 but to your point I long for the day when politicians don't need to be conservative in their approach towards racism.
cakes wrote:I've forgotten the reasons why I didn't like him, probably his connection to McKenzie.
By the by, what is the difference in this thread between you critiquing his time at McKinsey and me critiquing the way he handled racial issues?
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

rsmurphy wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 3:30 pm
cakes wrote:I've forgotten the reasons why I didn't like him, probably his connection to McKenzie.
By the by, what is the difference in this thread between you critiquing his time at McKinsey and me critiquing the way he handled racial issues?
To be honest, I wasn't actually referring to that, so I apologize that what I said was confusing. I was more or less agreeing with what you had said about "politicians are gonna politic", and just expanding on it with my thoughts. (I also apologize for spelling McKinsey incorrectly, wtf.) To reiterate, I had forgotten all the reasons I disliked Pete, as I was hoping Bernie would have won the nomination. It's all in the past at this point, we're living here in the moment right now.

To your point, though, all this minutia is a sparrow fart in a typhoon. I really don't care what problems Pete or Harris had in the past. Their positions are much closer to those of us left of the conservative center, which means they would be more malleable to our wants and needs. You can hear it in their campaigning. Whether or not that is a cynical ploy to win an election would remain to be seen, but it is more positive and commendable than what the other side has to offer. So, are our quibbles that important at this point in time?

P.S. I love you.

Anthony Flack wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 10:19 pm I wonder what Republicans are going to do with this huge pile of fucks they used to give about Hunter Biden?
I bet you they try to tie Harris to it somehow. They are all out of ideas and throwing everything at the wall and nothing is sticking.