Live - Lightning Crashes
Total votes: 16 (33%)
Everclear - Santa Monica
Total votes: 4 (8%)
Total votes: 49

Re: Worst Mid-90's Mega-Hit

Krev wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 3:26 pm
LuciousSandwich wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 2:53 pm
rsmurphy wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 2:35 pm 90's new jack swing/r&b/soul/hip-hop was lit but I can understand it not appealing to the ears of rockists.
I was surprised to learn that both "Nasty" and "I Can't Wait" came out in the late 80's rather than the early 90's -- my fault for only wanting to hear loud guitars at the time. Whenever I hear either one coming out of a car, I do an awkward middle aged dude's dance on the sidewalk . Mortifying my children is just a bonus.
Boyz II Men were bad, but you can't lump stuff like D'Angelo in with boy bands
🎵 Boyz II Men, ABC, BBD: the east coast family 🎵

I won't argue that the slower Boyz II Men jams can be a little come over here baby or whatever, but those uptempo new jack joints are slammin'.

Would much rather hear a B2M ballad than that Neds Atomic Dustbin/EMF/CarterUSM stuff floating around. I did like Candy Flip tho.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

rsmurphy wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 3:49 pmBBD
"Never trust a big butt and a smile..."

I could do w/o the whiny loverman interludes, but big points for the drum track being somewhere between an overmiked typewriter and a chorus of flyswatters. If only they'd kept the mood ice-cold throughout. (But then again, it probably wouldn't have been such a massive hit if they did.) Video is also goofy as hell, and the funniest parts of it are when it's not trying to be like so.

OrthodoxEaster wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 4:34 pm
Or the ringer from "Do Me" - backstage, underage, adolescent :shock:
I could do w/o the whiny loverman interludes, but big points for the drum track being somewhere between an overmiked typewriter and a chorus of flyswatters. If only they'd kept the mood ice-cold throughout. (But then again, it probably wouldn't have been such a massive hit if they did.) Video is also goofy as hell, and the funniest parts of it are when it's not trying to be like so.
Yeah, that drum programming is super dope! What I miss about 90's urban music videos are extras frontin playing music instruments. Like, there's a sax sample in the song and you have a vixen in swimwear blowing into a saxophone. I think there are a couple of honeys in BBD videos playing on a bass guitar. Cracks me up!
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

rsmurphy wrote:
OrthodoxEaster wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 4:34 pm
Or the ringer from "Do Me" - backstage, underage, adolescent :shock:
Yeah, that drum programming is super dope! What I miss about 90's urban music videos are extras frontin playing music instruments. Like, there's a sax sample in the song and you have a vixen in swimwear blowing into a saxophone. I think there are a couple of honeys in BBD videos playing on a bass guitar. Cracks me up!
Word. Wreckx-N-Effect's "Rump Shaker" comes to mind. I wasn't about to ask her for confirmation since we were not friends, but the rumor mill claimed that a girl w/whom I went to high school appeared in this clip. There was definitely a resemblance, but I always wondered if it was complete bullshit... or not.

My fave R&B hit from the early 90s is the New JILL swing banger "Don't walk away" by Jade which kind of bridges the NJS sound and the more "Hip-hop soul" sound of Mary J Blige and co. Shanices more smooth jazz flavoured "I love your smile" is a big fave as well as is the stuff SWV did (Downtown, Right here etc.). Could never get into these type of songs when sung by dudes though (Jodeci, B2M) though the earlier Rumpshaker and Poison as mentioned are classics with a strong and *dense* PE/Bomb squad influence-I dig Janets Rhyrhm Nation album for similar reasons... just samples and busy, plastic drums all over the place...