Re: Finding a job sucks thread

turnbullac wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:55 am
Garth wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:41 am Update, this thread could use some good news so yeah I just signed an offer (not at all related to the above) and I start the day after Labor Day fittingly enough & 2 weeks before my severance runs out.

A recruiter found me through linked in and got me the interview at a place that I had already applied to immediately in May and was rejected by whatever shit HR bot filters. This is a local in-person position. I had ZERO traction w/ the remote-only positions sadly, but should have some remote options down the road.

Doing sound was very good to me this summer and helped keep me from going nuts. I considered pivoting to that as full-time employment but I'm not sure I want to accelerate my eventual hearing loss. And let's be honest, the pay isn't great, the hours are terrible, and is frequently be more stressful than when I was slogging through a lunch rush as a line cook with a 3-alarm hangover.

Very fortunate to have had that as a a fall-back though and really enjoyed that work through this summer.
Congrats
+1

As much as I hate LinkedIn, I do acknowledge that every now and then something good happens because of it.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

Yeah, nice one Garth!

The good remote jobs have just become too competitive, I've long let that go that as a 'requirement' and going in a few days usually isn't terrible. I've had some great inside leads in recent weeks but still zero movement on interviews. I'll give it thru the end of summer to at least enjoy the season as much as possible, and then really might have to consider adjacent career moves. On site technician/QA work seems more available, but probably means a drive to the suburbs 5 days a week. People certainly do worse, but still.. blech.
Music

Garth wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:41 am
Garth wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:32 am
Garth wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:10 am I have my first interview scheduled in like 10+ years. It's not a job offer but it is a relief knowing that my experience seems to count for something and that it translated to my resume and cover letter adequately.
Interview concluded. I did not embarrass myself, but I still feel feel really shaken up for some reason...like I just experienced some sort of low-level trauma incident. Hopefully future interviews will lessen the impact.

I do not know that my skills are a perfect fit for what they are looking for & no amount of interview prep can fix that. Deeply concerned that this is going to be a long, long slog and that I fucked myself by not getting more specialized.
Update, this thread could use some good news so yeah I just signed an offer (not at all related to the above) and I start the day after Labor Day fittingly enough & 2 weeks before my severance runs out.

A recruiter found me through linked in and got me the interview at a place that I had already applied to immediately in May and was rejected by whatever shit HR bot filters. This is a local in-person position. I had ZERO traction w/ the remote-only positions sadly, but should have some remote options down the road.

Doing sound was very good to me this summer and helped keep me from going nuts. I considered pivoting to that as full-time employment but I'm not sure I want to accelerate my eventual hearing loss. And let's be honest, the pay isn't great, the hours are terrible, and is frequently be more stressful than when I was slogging through a lunch rush as a line cook with a 3-alarm hangover.

Very fortunate to have had that as a a fall-back though and really enjoyed that work through this summer.
Congratulations, Garth!

Got a phone call yesterday from the dept manager that I interviewed with two times over Teams last couple of weeks. It's a like a BIG joint govt/public company that is in the gas and oil business. I know that I should care, but I really do not care. I am an unemployed 44yo that wants to finally have a nice job not worrying for my future on a daily basis in this fucking country and its economy.

He told me that they're offering me a job in a new dept, and they're opening a new position for me. It's still "not official", but I should get an official mail in the coming week. He communicated my projected payroll and all the benefits, and I feel like I should think of this as being accepted, right!?

I am fucking thrilled, I have never been paid this much in my life, and I never had as little responsibility as I would have in my new position. FUCKING. THRILLED!
Nothing major here. Just a regular EU cock. I pull it out and there is beans all over my penis. Bean shells all over my penis...

Lu Zwei wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 4:18 am Got a phone call yesterday from the dept manager that I interviewed with two times over Teams last couple of weeks. It's a like a BIG joint govt/public company that is in the gas and oil business. I know that I should care, but I really do not care. I am an unemployed 44yo that wants to finally have a nice job not worrying for my future on a daily basis in this fucking country and its economy.

He told me that they're offering me a job in a new dept, and they're opening a new position for me. It's still "not official", but I should get an official mail in the coming week. He communicated my projected payroll and all the benefits, and I feel like I should think of this as being accepted, right!?

I am fucking thrilled, I have never been paid this much in my life, and I never had as little responsibility as I would have in my new position. FUCKING. THRILLED!
Good luck! *fingers crossed*

cakes wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 10:06 am
Lu Zwei wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 4:18 am Got a phone call yesterday from the dept manager that I interviewed with two times over Teams last couple of weeks. It's a like a BIG joint govt/public company that is in the gas and oil business. I know that I should care, but I really do not care. I am an unemployed 44yo that wants to finally have a nice job not worrying for my future on a daily basis in this fucking country and its economy.

Good luck! *fingers crossed*
Yes, good luck! Secure this job so you can afford a plane ticket to Austin during your vacation.

What do you guys like for job listings these days? Linkedin is a wasteland of ChatGPT and aspiring influencers, completely worthless. I've tried Dice and FlexJobs (either free or low cost trial periods), but they lean heavily towards very senior level positions and not much else. Honestly I'd be happy to take a $17/hr administrative/data entry remote work at this point as things have gotten so hopeless.
Music

zorg wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 2:09 pm
Lu Zwei wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 4:18 am I am fucking thrilled, I have never been paid this much in my life, and I never had as little responsibility as I would have in my new position. FUCKING. THRILLED!
Another fake hillbilly exposed! Congrats.
No idea about the reference, you will have to explain. Tnx.
Nothing major here. Just a regular EU cock. I pull it out and there is beans all over my penis. Bean shells all over my penis...