Re: Little Details from Your Day

Moved my oldest daughter, an incoming freshman at Illinois State University, into her residence hall yesterday.

Was unemotional yesterday, focused on making sure everything went well.

Am a wreck this morning and am having trouble focusing on anything else.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

enframed wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 4:25 pm
dontfeartheringo wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 3:28 pm
enframed wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:02 am

Curious why they are moving there to La Charite specifically. If it were me I'd stay between Angers and Tours, or maybe Nantes. Ultimately, I don't think you can make a bad decision as to where.
There's a guy, Scottish guy, who got there first. He was part of the big artists' colony that sprang up in Prague in like 1992. I dunno how much I can say in a public forum, but there are ways to expedite the artist visa process if you have an advocate and he has one kinda in-house. There's a houseboat recording studio. It's a two hour train ride to Paris. Seems hip as fuck.

Apparently, it's a big wine town, too, though that's not my thing.

https://www.france-voyage.com/tourism/c ... e-1831.htm
Houseboat studio sounds awesome. As for wine, yeah well Sancerre is right down the street. You leaning towards doing it?
I'm gonna go check it out when I can. Maybe in the Spring. A lot depends on what happens in November. I'd love to see a bunch of other musicians make a commitment to buying a €95k farmhouse and start an aluminum beard rock outpost in the Loire Valley, but I'd also be happy to put a little studio in the barn and do remote sessions.
tbone wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:58 pm I imagine at some point as a practicality we will all start assuming that this is probably the last thing we gotta mail to some asshole.

jfv wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 9:11 am Moved my oldest daughter, an incoming freshman at Illinois State University, into her residence hall yesterday.

Was unemotional yesterday, focused on making sure everything went well.

Am a wreck this morning and am having trouble focusing on anything else.
Oof. We were OK last year until our kid saw us out--we suddently collapsed sobbing into a heap and couldn't talk for a few minutes.

My wife and I were trying to get our shit together in the car after she went back up to her room, and I remember asking my wife, choking back tears, "She's gonna be OK, right?"

Which makes me laugh now, but it was an earnest question, some kinda very very deep-seated protective reflex.

Everyone went through a lot from March 2020 on, and if you had kids of school age, everything that happened that year into the next spring was destabilizing in a special way. For us it was also profoundly bonding and contributed to the intensity of shipping her off.

I don't expect it to be anything like that this year. Hope not!

eephus wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 12:42 am Everyone went through a lot from March 2020 on, and if you had kids of school age, everything that happened that year into the next spring was destabilizing in a special way. For us it was also profoundly bonding and contributed to the intensity of shipping her off.
This is very true. Was never as close to my kids, my family, and my neighbors as I was during the pandemic. A silver lining, for sure.

My youngest daughter was the most upset about my oldest going off to college. They are extremely close.

Anyway, I’m back to the grind.. headed to Taiwan via Hong Kong this week for work.

Was never as close to my kids, my family, and my neighbors as I was during the pandemic. A silver lining, for sure.
Yeah our daughter was going all over the place around town with her friends, moving away from us to an extent, then boom--back to being 8 or 10yrs old, only she was actually 16 and we could watch R-rated movies together.

As rough as lockdown was, that one aspect of that one part of it--hanging out together that much--was really really nice and will stay with us same as the rest of it if not more so. Fortunate as we were that none of us got sick in a bad way.

Dave N. wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 7:23 am This last week or so, I’ve been getting to work just as the sun begins peaking over the horizon. I’m incapable of seeing a sunrise without “New Day Rising” going through my head. I wonder how many other people have this problem? It’s almost like a call to prayer.
Every time I see a Penske truck I say, out loud, "Penske? You're not Penske material." I have a friend who also has this condition.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

Dave N. wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 7:23 am This last week or so, I’ve been getting to work just as the sun begins peaking over the horizon. I’m incapable of seeing a sunrise without “New Day Rising” going through my head. I wonder how many other people have this problem? It’s almost like a call to prayer.
I don’t have this exact problem, but..

Any time I’m taking a train across continental Europe, “Trans Europe Express” goes through my head.

As does Minutemen’s “West Germany” when I’m in that area.

And also Bowie’s “Warszawa” when I’m in Warsaw.