Re: What are you reading?

Listening to the audiobook of Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel.

Fucking incredible. I cannot recommend it enough. The reader is also doing an amazing job.

The story and writing is amazingly good. It’s weirdly reminding me of Game of Thrones which all the courtly intrigue and murderous politicking.

A book worth all the praise I’d seen.

If you have an Audiable account all three books are in a single bundle.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

jimmy spako wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 2:19 pm Chiming in late to suggest checking out Roberto Bolaño's short stories too.
Nazi Literature in the Americas (a collection of bogus biographies, entries between two paragraphs and novella in length) is a phenomenal read. haunting in places and viciously funny in others. one of those books i gave away because i couldn't stop picking it up and noticing something new in it.

We have a technical book club at work and I started reading the Programatic Programmer 20th anniversary edition. I read the original book 15 years ago, and it was really amazing to read at the time, still relevant today. I'm excited to read it again, with so much more experience and refresh the things I may have forgotten.

If you are a software engineer, or working in software, it's a really great take on how to navigate developing software on teams.

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:11 am
GuyLaCroix wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 10:20 am Started Robert Caro's LBJ series. I only read the intro and I'm hooked.

Dude is 88, definitely gonna croak before he finishes the series. It's like Berserk for boomers.
I'm sure you have already, but just in case - read The Power Broker.
I expect that will be next, based on the 100~ pages I've gotten into the LBJ book
https://laddermatchco.bandcamp.com/album/closed-casket

GuyLaCroix wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 10:20 am Started Robert Caro's LBJ series. I only read the intro and I'm hooked.

Dude is 88, definitely gonna croak before he finishes the series. It's like Berserk for boomers.
Read the first 2 the winter and summer before my diagnosis. Been a long time. SHould probably get after 'em again.
Anthony Flack wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:05 pm kiss Joe Manchin's coal mine