Re: Balls Effects / Balls Amplification

Dr Tony Balls wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:57 am
benadrian wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 9:11 pm Tony, will you be adding battery clips?
Yes of course! Sorry, I tend to take pics without the battery in there, and in this case I didnt even have the battery snap installed. Everything always has a battery unless it physically cant for space/power reasons.
I know some pedal builders have a sustainability mindset and embrace that by not including battery connectors. I try to use single use batteries as little as possible. Still, I make an exception for live playing, where 2-3 pedals run on batteries are far more reliable and less hassle than running power to the front of the stage and worrying about noise interactions and such.

I have put 9v snaps in pedals that left them out, and I've also put barrel power inputs on pedals that were battery only. We are all complex beasts.

benadrian wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 12:01 pm
Dr Tony Balls wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:57 am
benadrian wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 9:11 pm Tony, will you be adding battery clips?
Yes of course! Sorry, I tend to take pics without the battery in there, and in this case I didnt even have the battery snap installed. Everything always has a battery unless it physically cant for space/power reasons.
I know some pedal builders have a sustainability mindset and embrace that by not including battery connectors. I try to use single use batteries as little as possible. Still, I make an exception for live playing, where 2-3 pedals run on batteries are far more reliable and less hassle than running power to the front of the stage and worrying about noise interactions and such.

I have put 9v snaps in pedals that left them out, and I've also put barrel power inputs on pedals that were battery only. We are all complex beasts.
Batteries are also just good for backup. Leave a 9V in your pedal forever and only use it when your power supply fails or there's no outlet near the front of the stage....its handy to have.

TylerDeadPine wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 1:05 pm I think on my Balls KWB I had to wrap the battery clip as it shorted on the chassis, just fyi to anyone if you live hard and have some power shutoff going on.
That shouldnt be happening. On the barrel jacks I use the + terminal of the battery is disconnected when a plug is inserted, so that 1) the battery is off when external power is used, and 2) shorts wont happen if no battery is installed. If that's happening it would mean that the DC jack has a failure.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thetonyballs/

Dr Tony Balls wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 1:46 pm
TylerDeadPine wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 1:05 pm I think on my Balls KWB I had to wrap the battery clip as it shorted on the chassis, just fyi to anyone if you live hard and have some power shutoff going on.
That shouldnt be happening. On the barrel jacks I use the + terminal of the battery is disconnected when a plug is inserted, so that 1) the battery is off when external power is used, and 2) shorts wont happen if no battery is installed. If that's happening it would mean that the DC jack has a failure.
That make sense should've asked first - both my yellow and my pink balls had jack issues then. It's possible I'm rocking too hard?

TylerDeadPine wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 5:16 pm
Dr Tony Balls wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 1:46 pm
That make sense should've asked first - both my yellow and my pink balls had jack issues then. It's possible I'm rocking too hard?
Actually....it is possible that the battery snap is shorting out, just not in the way that we're thinking. The DC jack opens the (+) connection when an external power source is inserted, so the 9V source cant short to the chassis. HOWEVER, the (-) remains connected to ground. No problem if that touches the grounded chassis, but if it were to contact something else (board, switch, pots, etc) it could create a short.

But you're probably rocking too hard.

Mickey242 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 10:05 pm Well i would love to see what you come up with. pM me with a price.
huh? what is this in reference to?
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thetonyballs/

"Hot Perez" showed up today (in record time from NYC, mind you.)

Definitely a lot closer to the Chuck Collins HP-1 clone I bought a few years back than the Land Devices HP-2 on first listen. I didn't get to run it through full volume yet, but I'll be bringing it to the studio this weekend and trying it out there!
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen

Current -
Future Living / Daddy's Boy / Blank Banker / Solo

Fomer -
Hungry Man / No Trust / Retreaters