Musical Late Bloomers

There are those who released a debut album that took the world by storm, then fought the sophomore slump. But I'm thinking about the other stories. The promising talent who creates some records with potential but doesn't craft a landmark until album three or four.

I'm thinking of people like Kate Bush who clearly had a talent but didn't coalesce into something truly incredible with album four, The Dreaming.

Or The National who didn't really know who they were until album four where they became critical darlings with The Boxer.

Or let's not forget George Harrison who wrote mostly shitty songs until suddenly he had stockpiles of great stuff.

Who do you see as a musical Late bloomer?

Re: Musical Late Bloomers

Harrison is probably one of the best examples as you mentioned. All things must pass is about three or 4000 times better than anything Lennon or McCartney released after the Beatles on the whole.

Actually, Neil Young might be another good example. If you want to treat the first record and the Buffalo Springfield stuff as the early work, Everybody Knows this is Nowhere is light years above that then pretty much continued on an upward to trajectory for a long, long time.

Re: Musical Late Bloomers

Frankie99 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 8:39 pm Harrison is probably one of the best examples as you mentioned. All things must pass is about three or 4000 times better than anything Lennon or McCartney released after the Beatles on the whole.
John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band for me with no competition
Actually, Neil Young might be another good example. If you want to treat the first record and the Buffalo Springfield stuff as the early work, Everybody Knows this is Nowhere is light years above that then pretty much continued on an upward to trajectory for a long, long time.
Neil was 23 when Everybody Knows came out. Pretty early! 23! He made that record as a kid basically, it's crazy.

Bill Withers didn't put out an album until he was nearly 33.