Re: What Video Games Are You Playing?

sparky wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 2:01 am Jimmy! Send me a message if you fancy playing that online some time. I am planning to delete RDR2 to free up a load of precious drive space, but I spent many lovely, useless hours on RDR online, maybe more than on the main game. We could get drunk in my moonshine bar etc.

Edit: gah! No cross-play! We shall find a suitable cross-platform game someday to break me out of Sony island
I'm just stumbling around at this point, getting myself and others shot and trying to get my head around this sort of game that I've never played. I like it a lot though!

Shame about the cross-platform bullocks. I got Game Pass Core to play with my best friend from small days (honorary other brother), who has an Xbox. We'll find something appropriately silly that works eventually if we keep it in the back of our minds!

This looks good:

Everything to Play For: How Videogames Are Changing the World by Marijam Did (Verso)

"An insider’s account of the videogame industry telling how gaming can become a force for good...

Everything To Play For asks if videogames can achieve egalitarian goals instead of fuelling hyper-materialist, reactionary agendas. Combining cultural theory and materialist critiques with accessible language and personal anecdotes, industry insider Marijam Did engages both novices and seasoned connoisseurs. From the innovations of Pong and Doom to the intricate multiplayer or narrative-driven games, the author highlights the multifaceted stories of the gaming communities and the political actors who organise among them. Crucially, the focus also includes the people who make the games, shedding light on the brutal processes necessary to bring titles to the public.

The videogame industry, now larger than the film and music industries combined, has a proven ability to challenge the status quo. With a rich array of examples, Did argues for a nuanced understanding of gaming’s influence so that this extraordinary power can be harnessed for good."

I completed the story for Mirror's Edge Catalyst.
I didn't bother with all the little races or personal delivery assignments.
I loved it. The story is fairly schlocky, semi-cyberpunk dystopian B-movie fare, but in a way I found endearing, with good voice acting and music/sound design. I liked it enough to buy the original Mirror's Edge after finishing, to give it a spin sometime too.

I started playing Cloudpunk (fun enough, though the dialogue can be cringey and long-winded at times) and messing around in Batman: Arkham Knight.
Also trying out Spirit of the North to see if it might be appropriate for the little dude (and it's soothing and pleasantly immersive for me).

He started playing Pikuniku this past weekend and I helped him out whenever he got stuck, then we played co-op for a little while and had good fun. What an utterly lovely game.

jimmy spako wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 5:57 am I started playing Cloudpunk (fun enough, though the dialogue can be cringey and long-winded at times) and messing around in Batman: Arkham Knight.
Also trying out Spirit of the North to see if it might be appropriate for the little dude (and it's soothing and pleasantly immersive for me).

He started playing Pikuniku this past weekend and I helped him out whenever he got stuck, then we played co-op for a little while and had good fun. What an utterly lovely game.
I love that voxel art-style in Cloudpunk. Similar vibe, Shadows of Doubt just got released to lukewarm reviews, but it looks like one of those that'll get patched and tweaked into something really enjoyable.

at war with bellends