?

Crap (No votes)
Not crap
Total votes: 4 (100%)
Total votes: 4

Re: Band: Mount Shasta

Not poopy at all. Who's the Hottie? is just relentless distortion and sleaze. It's an almost joyous outpouring of nonmelodic rasping and pummeling, w/a wee bit of swampy swing. I haven't heard it in ages, but I remember barely being able to tell most of the songs apart—and I loved it. Juiced-up, horny-sounding noise rock.

Even on the slightly more mannered final LP, that opening riff to "Lil' Hoss" is just fucking classic.

A storming live act, to boot. John Forbes is a great frontman and a delightful person.

Aside: I might dig the two Dirt (Forbes's prior band) 45s even more, the full-length albums not as much.

Vibracobra wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 2:36 pm That Phantom 309 record is a keeper.
I don't pull it out often, but yes.

So's the split 12-inch EP they did, for that matter. I now have the sudden urge to start hoarsely yelling "eight-ball Crowe!" over and over again, but I'd probably freak out my long-suffering wife, who's trying to get some work done over here.

OrthodoxEaster wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 1:36 pm Not poopy at all. Who's the Hottie? is just relentless distortion and sleaze. It's an almost joyous outpouring of nonmelodic rasping and pummeling, w/a wee bit of swampy swing. I haven't heard it in ages, but I remember barely being able to tell most of the songs apart—and I loved it. Juiced-up, horny-sounding noise rock.
"Gimp" is a Jam. Just reached for my old copy and now is spinning on the TT.

Awesome band

OrthodoxEaster wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 2:44 pm

So's the split 12-inch EP they did, for that matter. I now have the sudden urge to start hoarsely yelling "eight-ball Crowe!" over and over again, but I'd probably freak out my long-suffering wife, who's trying to get some work done over here.
I'm ordering that one, found it mega cheap.

The other guys on the split ... I think one of them was in 86 me thinks, another great Atlanta Band. Not sure

Vibracobra wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 12:11 pm
OrthodoxEaster wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 2:44 pm

I'm ordering that one, found it mega cheap.

The other guys on the split ... I think one of them was in 86 me thinks, another great Atlanta Band. Not sure
Fucking cool. A lot of people don't even know that record exists. Paper-thin sleeve. Looks like a promo or one of those cheapie UK 12-inches.

Yep, the guitarist from 86, whose records were so-so to good, but supposedly a mofo live act. I never got to see 'em. I can't, for the life of me, recall what the other side of the EP sounds like, though. Maybe I'll throw it on tonight...