Re: Musical Late Bloomers

losthighway wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:05 pm
enframed wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 12:12 pm
jimmy spako wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:18 am
Scott Walker? In terms of finding an authentic personal voice pretty far along into a music career...
No.
Why not?

Because the Walker Brothers were kind of awesome, or because you don't really care for SW?
Oh I thought you were intending to mean the stuff with Sunn0))) or whatever that terrible album was. His solo stuff was concurrent with Walker Brothers, no? I love his early solo stuff.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

losthighway wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 8:16 pm There are those who released a debut album that took the world by storm, then fought the sophomore slump. But I'm thinking about the other stories. The promising talent who creates some records with potential but doesn't craft a landmark until album three or four.

I'm thinking of people like Kate Bush who clearly had a talent but didn't coalesce into something truly incredible with album four, The Dreaming.

Or The National who didn't really know who they were until album four where they became critical darlings with The Boxer.

Or let's not forget George Harrison who wrote mostly shitty songs until suddenly he had stockpiles of great stuff.

Who do you see as a musical Late bloomer?
Who is doing the deciding on what amounts to "Landmark..."?

I know when the peeps finally caught onto Soul Asylum, but I think that they were laying waste the entire time.

Curry Pervert wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:34 pm
ChudFusk wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:42 am
Curry Pervert wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 9:35 pm Bowie.

Slogged away for years in various incarnations before making any kind of impact.
Yeah, he didn’t really blossom until he did that collab with Trent Reznor
Not sure if this is uninformed sarcasm or obscure humour, but I don't get it.
Close; it’s sarcastic humor. Do I really have to explain it for you?
Escape Rope / Black Mesa / Inflatable Sex Babies