Re: Musical Late Bloomers

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 3:31 am
seby wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:38 amTom Waits
You think? He was what, mid-20s when Nighthawks at the Diner came out, and that's a fine record.
Tom Waits has always been old.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

seby wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 5:16 am
A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 3:31 am
seby wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:38 amTom Waits
You think? He was what, mid-20s when Nighthawks at the Diner came out, and that's a fine record.
It all begins with Swordfishtrombone for me : )
There's definitely a sense that this was precisely when he discovered this is what it means to be Tom Waits. That's a lot of albums in. I'll even go to bat for Closing Time, but he just sounds like a normal, sad dude there. Not the iconic comic book character icon.

Frankie99 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 8:39 pm Harrison is probably one of the best examples as you mentioned. All things must pass is about three or 4000 times better than anything Lennon or McCartney released after the Beatles on the whole.
I know we're trying to define late bloomer based on their previous musical output, rather than age, but it's worth mentioning that All Things Must Pass was written mostly while he was in his early 20's. He never scaled these lofty heights again in terms of product either, so you might argue that it was more like a final burst of youth rather than a renaissance. That said, and I always thought he was an underrated guitarist, but he developed his super distinctive and memorable slide playing only in his solo era.