Re: Gear Confessions Thread

Ok, one more, but using a rack Sansamp on an effects send or whatever - if that also doesn’t work after a few minutes turn that shit off and run for your life. I like using it all sorts of subtle ways, especially on the room when recording vocal and acoustic at the same time (I know) but it’s probably better to just be a total dumbass and fuck drums with it or whatever.

You can get a cool sound quickly and then totally fuck it and spend the rest of the night burning holes in your ears just trying to get back that little spark where it made it sound better for a minute.

four_oclocker_2.2 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 2:28 pm I think I like this amp?

Pricey, yes - but seems like there's a bunch of neat details and nice to see Fender doing something interesting the "tube amp space."
Sounds pretty tight. Harmonic trem is a thing of beauty and the tube count lends me to believe that that the trem and the reverb are all tube driven like the source material.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thetonyballs/

four_oclocker_2.2 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 2:28 pm I think I like this amp?

Pricey, yes - but seems like there's a bunch of neat details and nice to see Fender doing something interesting the "tube amp space."
Probably a good place to confess I fucking hate guitar amp reverb. Always sounds like some shitty overpass to me. A short-to-medium slappy delay setting conveys space much more convincingly IMO.
Music

benadrian wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 1:50 pm
TylerDeadPine wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 12:15 pm my first 'real' setup was a Gibson marauder into a boss SD-1 into a Sovtek Mig50. I've bought a million things since, and I still don't sound as good as I did just playing that when I was 20.
I feel you. That is a classic setup.
I've posted about this before, but my first "melodic guitar" setup was a couple delays and overdrives into a fender amp with reverb. My first "noisy rock" guitar setup was a boost pedal into a JCM800.

30+ years later, it's exactly the same. Even when I'm using Helix, my presets fall right in line.

No matter how many times I try to change shit up, when it comes down to writing and playing live, I just go right back to one of those setup.
Maybe that says something about our perceived variety in tone