Re: Politics

Something to consider: most of the hospitals in the US also still use pagers for communication, and most emergency services use walkie talkies. You know, if I really didn't like the US, I would do several things:

1. Convince significant portions of the general population that the medical and scientific sectors can't be trusted
2. Convince the population that measures to combat disease are some sort of divine conspiracy, thereby politicizing public health and causing a significant portion of the population to weaken themselves by refusing health care
3. Target the most gullible (e.g., rural populations, the elderly) with far-right rhetoric to exacerbate existing class, gender, and ethnic divides, ensuring the population wastes most of its energy eating itself
4. Conduct small-scale tests of cyber attacks on SCADA systems servicing critical infrastructure in gyuh-hyuk-er-villes across the nation (e.g., Muleshoe, Texas), where such attacks might seem insignificant
5. Conduct small-scale tests weaponizing small, forgettable devices necessary for the functioning of critical infrastructure, such as hospitals and emergency services, in places where "they're probably the bad guys anyway"

I'd have a hard time believing in any sort of massive conspiracy (real life isn't TV), but with a population as gullible as the US, and lots of places that either don't like us (Russia) or see us as a disposable means to an end (Israel), I'd argue there's a lot of folks with some pretty good incentives to exploit that gullibility. And, let's be real: there is no easier way to exploit the gullible and weaponize them against themselves than with far-right rhetoric. Why put the effort into taking power and money from people when you can scare them into giving it to you willingly?

Come to think of it, if I had a lot of gold reserves, I'd also spend a lot of time and money trying to convince the ultra gullible that eliminating the federal reserve and going back on the gold standard would be a good idea.
Total_douche, MSW, LICSW (lulz)

ErickC wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:06 am Something to consider: most of the hospitals in the US also still use pagers for communication, and most emergency services use walkie talkies. You know, if I really didn't like the US, I would do several things:

1. Convince significant portions of the general population that the medical and scientific sectors can't be trusted
2. Convince the population that measures to combat disease are some sort of divine conspiracy, thereby politicizing public health and causing a significant portion of the population to weaken themselves by refusing health care
3. Target the most gullible (e.g., rural populations, the elderly) with far-right rhetoric to exacerbate existing class, gender, and ethnic divides, ensuring the population wastes most of its energy eating itself
4. Conduct small-scale tests of cyber attacks on SCADA systems servicing critical infrastructure in gyuh-hyuk-er-villes across the nation (e.g., Muleshoe, Texas), where such attacks might seem insignificant
5. Conduct small-scale tests weaponizing small, forgettable devices necessary for the functioning of critical infrastructure, such as hospitals and emergency services, in places where "they're probably the bad guys anyway"

I'd have a hard time believing in any sort of massive conspiracy (real life isn't TV), but with a population as gullible as the US, and lots of places that either don't like us (Russia) or see us as a disposable means to an end (Israel), I'd argue there's a lot of folks with some pretty good incentives to exploit that gullibility. And, let's be real: there is no easier way to exploit the gullible and weaponize them against themselves than with far-right rhetoric. Why put the effort into taking power and money from people when you can scare them into giving it to you willingly?

Come to think of it, if I had a lot of gold reserves, I'd also spend a lot of time and money trying to convince the ultra gullible that eliminating the federal reserve and going back on the gold standard would be a good idea.
Great post. But in this case I think the “phone call is coming from inside the house”. The fringes of the US right, Qanon, Maga goblins, anti-woke weirdos and Yoga Wine Moms seem to be self radicalising. I can see the case of outside interference but it feels like the leaves are bone dry and all that’s needed is a match.

I’ve said this a few times but to me as someone that’s spent a lot of time in the US, beyond simple tourism, with adjacent American family that have full blown Fox News Brain, there is around 20% of the population that are basically operating as inmates in an open air insane asylum… just walking around.

PS the UK NHS weirdly still uses pagers within hospitals.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

ErickC wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:06 am And, let's be real: there is no easier way to exploit the gullible and weaponize them against themselves than with far-right rhetoric. Why put the effort into taking power and money from people when you can scare them into giving it to you willingly?
Yep. They already have their own ecosystem/infrastructure.
Trump launched his own cryptocurrency this week..
Music

penningtron wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:27 am
ErickC wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:06 am And, let's be real: there is no easier way to exploit the gullible and weaponize them against themselves than with far-right rhetoric. Why put the effort into taking power and money from people when you can scare them into giving it to you willingly?
Yep. They already have their own ecosystem/infrastructure.
Trump launched his own cryptocurrency this week..
On that, this podcast discusses that. Worth a listen.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/t ... 0669811387

It’s the latest Trash Future if the link is UK locked.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

Gramsci wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:01 am as someone that’s spent a lot of time in the US, beyond simple tourism, with adjacent American family that have full blown Fox News Brain, there is around 20% of the population that are basically operating as inmates in an open air insane asylum… just walking around.
Not to be too philosophical or historical, but I feel like this has always been the case. Nothing new. The snakeoil salesman, get-rich-quick entrepreneur, tycoon, and puritanical religious loon have been American archetypes since the beginning.

The naive thing is to think it only or even mostly just applies to the far right and white people. (Even though the far right is basically the absolute worst.) Wanna hear some conspiracy theories that make Fox News sound almost sensible, though? Spend some time on the bus en route to the public housing near my apartment. I've learned all sorts of accidentally amusing and outlandish shit about vaccines controlling people, Jewish gold reserves, a claim of coffee being a harder drug than cocaine, you name it. In communities that are often apolitical, mainstream Dem, or, in some cases, hard left.

There's also just an overall lack of or lack of respect for education and rationalism in this country, regardless of one's race, class, or voting record, which I think fuels the fires. Combined w/this weird pioneer/technocratic/capitalistic/optimistic delusion saying that it's possible to make your own little reality and destiny w/o much regard for the outside world. So there you go.

In many ways, Trump is more of a symptom of this than a cause. But writ larger than his Vaudeville-politician predecessors. But shit, you could also say this about Kanye. Or Diddy. (Granted, those guys aren't politicians. Yet?)

And w/the internet and social media, it's more acceptable for Americans to freely, proudly show off this irrational side of the country's collective conscious in public. Whereas it was once considered pretty tacky and something more reserved for closed doors or outliers.

That’s one of the most insightful posts in a while. The US as a giant carny grift regardless of ideology totally makes sense. My experience is American family that are just gone… and a bunch of far left “friends” that have gone collectively insane, particularly since the Russian invasion.

OrthodoxEaster wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:36 am
Gramsci wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:01 am as someone that’s spent a lot of time in the US, beyond simple tourism, with adjacent American family that have full blown Fox News Brain, there is around 20% of the population that are basically operating as inmates in an open air insane asylum… just walking around.
Not to be too philosophical or historical, but I feel like this has always been the case. Nothing new. The snakeoil salesman, get-rich-quick entrepreneur, tycoon, and puritanical religious loon have been American archetypes since the beginning.

The naive thing is to think it only or even mostly just applies to the far right and white people. (Even though the far right is basically the absolute worst.) Wanna hear some conspiracy theories that make Fox News sound almost sensible, though? Spend some time on the bus en route to the public housing near my apartment. I've learned all sorts of accidentally amusing and outlandish shit about vaccines controlling people, Jewish gold reserves, a claim of coffee being a harder drug than cocaine, you name it. In communities that are often apolitical, mainstream Dem, or, in some cases, hard left.

There's also just an overall lack of or lack of respect for education and rationalism in this country, regardless of one's race, class, or voting record, which I think fuels the fires. Combined w/this weird pioneer/technocratic/capitalistic/optimistic delusion saying that it's possible to make your own little reality and destiny w/o much regard for the outside world. So there you go.

In many ways, Trump is more of a symptom of this than a cause. But writ larger than his Vaudeville-politician predecessors. But shit, you could also say this about Kanye. Or Diddy. (Granted, those guys aren't politicians. Yet?)

And w/the internet and social media, it's more acceptable for Americans to freely, proudly show off this irrational side of the country's collective conscious in public. Whereas it was once considered pretty tacky and something more reserved for closed doors or outliers.
There's a book I need to finish called Occult Features of Anarchism that explores this idea to a degree throughout the course of history. How populist/leftist movements start to put "faces" with the sources of their evils through the blame impulse. Then it kinda just sorta morphs into describing oppressors as "these people" with whatever the evil du jour is, going back centuries.

It's short, and I didn't finish it, though I should at some point. Not that it's correct per se, but it's still an interesting observation.

OrthodoxEaster wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:36 am

This. The Latino community in LA full of this kind of conspiracy talk. Supposedly Latino (Spanish speaking) radio is a pretty big part of the problem.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale