Re: Politics

Thanks for the kind words re: that post and the reading suggestions, everyone.

Bougie, bougie, but Kurt Andersen's Fantasyland is a relatively pop, albeit very readable, editorialized history of what we're talking about. Evil Geniuses: The Unmaking of America isn't as good, but it's sort of a sequel book.

Meanwhile, some rather hopeless stats re: Israel and Gaza from next month's Harper's Index:

Percentage of Israeli Jews who say that Gazans should have the right to self-governance : 8
October 2024 • Source: Pew Research Center (Washington)
Who say that Israel’s use of military force in Gaza has gone too far : 4
Who say that it has not gone far enough : 42
Portion of Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank who say that Hamas’s decision to attack Israel on October 7 was “correct” : 2/3
October 2024 • Source: Palestinian Center for Policy and Survey Research (Ramallah)
Minimum percentage of Gazans who have lost a family member in the Israel–Hamas war : 60

OrthodoxEaster wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:56 am Meanwhile, some rather hopeless stats re: Israel and Gaza from next month's Harper's Index:
Yeah. This, along with 100% Republican and a lot of Democrat support, is what I was getting at by saying that a presidential candidate claiming they'd "end the war on day 1" is full of shit. It's fuckin' grim, and will require more than just a shift in politics to end (not unlike the Vietnam War).
Music

rsmurphy wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:17 am ANGELA DAVIS: ELECTING HARRIS WILL OPEN SPACE FOR MORE RADICAL STRUGGLES

This good read is unfortunately dividing the far left. I've watched white leftists just straight-up dissing her and black ones noting her accomplishments but shamelessly stating she should move out of the way. I know we've already examined many of these issues but Angela Davis puts a fine point over all of them.
imagine telling an 80 year old woman she can't go to FRANCE and say whatever the fuck she wants.
broken minds over here.

rsmurphy wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:17 am ANGELA DAVIS: ELECTING HARRIS WILL OPEN SPACE FOR MORE RADICAL STRUGGLES

This good read is unfortunately dividing the far left. I've watched white leftists just straight-up dissing her and black ones noting her accomplishments but shamelessly stating she should move out of the way. I know we've already examined many of these issues but Angela Davis puts a fine point over all of them.
This was great, thank you for this. As always, there's someone out there articulating many of my thoughts for me.

It's funny how leftists will run to leftist spaces to scream about how awful it is that Cheney(s) are voting for Harris and as a reason not to vote for her, but when actual leftists with skins on the fucking wall who have spilled blood in the fight remind people that the first part of the fight is keeping the fascists out....crickets.

Gramsci wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 1:49 pm Snarkiness. Thanks.
Sorry. Fighting the habit.

Gramsci wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 1:49 pmThey got 20% of the vote, that’s worth paying attention to. They stopped the AfD, again worth paying attention too.
If you draw votes from AfD by adopting similar policies to AfD, that to me isn't stopping AfD. Like on the immigration thing, opposition to the anti-immigrant parties, when those first entered the scene, was opposition to a certain idea they put forth as to what kind of country this is, what it means to belong to it and whatnot, in other words some fundamental distance was established toward them, some different kind of attitude to immigration. If a party adopts a position which agrees with that of AfD in essence - in the fundamental attitude to immigration, nationhood, etc., and then draw votes from them then sure technically they aren't in power but then I would wonder what was so important about opposing them in the first place?
born to give

Agreed that it's a very good read.
IfIHadAHiFi
Body Futures

It looks like Israel stepped it up from terrorist pager explosions to bombings in Lebanon. It's hard to see how this conflict shrinks.

The worst part is while every recent US leader has added and abetted the violence, we could get a magic unicorn of decent foreign policy in the white house and Netenyahu would still be capable of bulldozing communities even without our aid.

Frankie99 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:19 am
OrthodoxEaster wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:36 am
Gramsci wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:01 am as someone that’s spent a lot of time in the US, beyond simple tourism, with adjacent American family that have full blown Fox News Brain, there is around 20% of the population that are basically operating as inmates in an open air insane asylum… just walking around.
Not to be too philosophical or historical, but I feel like this has always been the case. Nothing new. The snakeoil salesman, get-rich-quick entrepreneur, tycoon, and puritanical religious loon have been American archetypes since the beginning.
There's a book I need to finish called Occult Features of Anarchism that explores this idea to a degree throughout the course of history. How populist/leftist movements start to put "faces" with the sources of their evils through the blame impulse. Then it kinda just sorta morphs into describing oppressors as "these people" with whatever the evil du jour is, going back centuries.

It's short, and I didn't finish it, though I should at some point. Not that it's correct per se, but it's still an interesting observation.
Pretty related: Under the Eye of Power by Colin Dickey, which argues that conspiratorial othering is a standard feature of the US reaching back to the colonial pre-independence era. Masons, Illuminati, Catholics, the Adrenochrome Cabal.