MS technique and ambient mics

Hi,

I am testing different techniques to record a drummer.
I have a few questions:

I have seen many configuration using two room mics down the floor at 6-7 feet either in front or at the back of the drum kit pointing at it.
I have also read about the MS configuration for a single point stereo recording.

What does make an engineer to choose between the two configurations ?

I quite like the theory of the MS configuration, for lots of reasons but I still wonder to know how to use it right. I mean I guess I would use my room mics to get the deep of the drums without too much bleed of the cymbals. But should I use the MS mics the same way ? In that sense :
-would a MS config down on the floor be a good idea ?
-what about the delay of 15-25ms on the room mics, does that apply to MS configuration ?
-at last if the room is small and bright(reflections) which of the MS or room mics is the more suitable config to use ?
Thanks a lot.

Alex

MS technique and ambient mics

Alex,

Here's how i use m-s on drums:
I use a good distance from the kit (like 6 feet) and place them at about eyeheight with the drummer .
If you don't want too much cymbals in these mikes, try alligning your stereo-pair with the direction of the cymbals. Cymbals produce sound which travels from the surface, upwards and below.

As far as microphones go, i mostly use a Beyer 130 and 160.
If you have a limited number of tracks, you can also place your m-s pair closer to the kit to capture the kick-drum, instead of using an additional (second) microphone for this. When i do this, i replace the Beyer m160 with a AKG 414 (tl-II).

There are many posts on this forum wich discuss the use of microphone techniques for drums. Have a look around.

Cheers,

Cstof