Tube Mic Pre on a Budget

I've got one of the EH 12AY7 units and it is really nice - the plate voltage is high so the tubes are actually working and having an effect on the signal, rather than for show. Just a single gain knob and some cut/polarity/phantom switches, and you can swap the tubes with other 12A*7 variants for more gain/altered tone.

The two downsides are that the clip light is bypassed if phantom is on (weird design choice) and that it's housed in a EH pedal case, which can make it a pain to find a good spot for it.

I use the balanced XLR out to my board and haven't had any trouble with hum, but as Rodabod mentioned, there are unbalanced issues.

Tube Mic Pre on a Budget

Just in case y'all were wondering...

I have two Behringer tube mic pre's...those single channel things. Mocks of the 'classic' ART baby tube pre. Paid 10 bucks each for them. They do add some characteristic 'tube' distortion to the signal, as well as a heap of hiss. With the limiter, this might make them useful under some circumstances, but...well, they are crap. If you want one, and you live in Seattle, I'll give one to you.

Tube Mic Pre on a Budget

I agree full sail with Eliya!! Buyin an average tube-pre is like buyin a cheap Marshall!! If ya want a good valve guitar amp den buy a DSL100 or a vintage JCM or sumtin! The cheaper Marshalls sound terrible, ya wud be much better buyin a good Fender! Same goes here, buy a good SS instead of a shitty tube pre!