Crap
Total votes: 10 (40%)
Not crap
Total votes: 15 (60%)
Total votes: 25

Rock bands playing along with a laptop

kerble wrote:
Tree wrote:
Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:I'm sure that there are exceptions to this general idea...

Somebody please name one.

3 good live bands that have used laptops to subtle but excellent effect:

Beauty Pill
volcano!
Wilco

I have seen none of these three bands live, but I like one and a half of them. I'll decide on BP for sure when they follow up the disappointing The Unsustainable Lifestyle.

As for volcano!, I would very much like to see them. Somebody oughtta have a word with that booking agent of theirs.

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote: FFFZZZHHHH KKKKRRRRRR WHHHAAAANNNNGGGG.

This is kind like opening a can of worms where each worm is a Pandora's box where each box contains the slipperiest of slopes, isn't it?
Style vs. Substance, Form vs Function, et al.

I believe it is that very "FFFZZZHHHH KKKKRRRRRR WHHHAAAANNNNGGGG" that means all the difference.

Thats TONE! Its every bit as necessary as your lame B minor 7th!

EDIT: But drum machines are a different story.

Whatever you need to get the job done. If you're good, you're good, and if you can't make your laptop incorporation good, it's just as much of a fuckup as if your drummer is shite.

I'd like to point out, with a great deal of amusement, that a certain band that is nigh-universally respected in these parts was, you know, the 80's equivalent - three guys with guitars and a box of electronics.
http://www.myspace.com/leopoldandloebchicago

Linus Van Pelt wrote:I subscribe to neither prong of your false dichotomy.