Ricky Gervais

I've only seen the extras a few times, it was his best work, but that doesn't say much at all. The episode I recall most vividly featured David Bowie. The appeal seems to be the novelty of the guest stars, because the funniest gag on that episode was the debate about giving the homeless man money on the street. Even then, I found Gervais' character insanely annoying. I think he writes all his characters that way because he himself is annoying, and is incapable of acting any other way. Everything I've seen him in, including interviews, is just the same damn character a million times. I think his shows would benefit from now having him in them, because he does work with some pretty talented people.

His stand-up was the single worst stand-up I ever saw. One of the routines I saw revolved around him holding up drawings of various animals doing gay sex while he made crude remarks about 'having it in the blowhole'. The punchline was a drawing of two Ricky Gervais going at it.
This was the opposite of funny.

A few more inches, and Ricky Gervais would qualify for the shortest tragedy thread!

Ricky Gervais

He was on Letterman the other night (that's where I first saw the clip that I posted above).

Letterman was asking him about his cat that plays the piano.

Ricky: "Yeah, it's 400 dollars a lesson...or 20 pounds, however you want to look at it."

Then he looked at the audience and said, "how does it feel to be a third world country".

Ricky Gervais rules.
drew patrick wrote:Peripatetic will win.

Ricky Gervais

He was on Letterman the other night (that's where I first saw the clip that I posted above).

Letterman was asking him about his cat that plays the piano.

Ricky: "Yeah, it's 400 dollars a lesson...or 20 pounds, however you want to look at it."

Then he looked at the audience and said, "how does it feel to be a third world country".

Ricky Gervais rules.

Yeah, lame.

I am with sox, Ricky Gervais is not that funny, actually pretty unfunny most of the time.

There is a thingy where he and Larry David talk about "the craft" on YouTube that is painfully self-congratulatory and basically lacking in any sort of meaningful insight, about "the craft."

"I am a white, middle-class English bloke."

Yeah, we hadn't noticed, putz.

CRAP

Ricky Gervais

Shandling comes across as just a massive tool. It's shitty when your heroes turn out to be dicks.

If we're going to talk about interviews, how about the one he did with Larry David? David's more of a contemporary of Gervais than Shandling is and the kinship between the comedy of the two men shines through.
Marsupialized wrote:You are shitting me