Hybrid Bicycle Advice

I got a hybrid/comfort/commuter type bike when I first moved to Chicago four years ago. It served me well for the first two years on my 4.5 mile ride to work each day. I ended up getting rid of it and getting into road bikes. Some of the reasons being:

-Weight: A hybrid or commuter can easily weight over 30-35 lbs or more. Lugging this up 3+ flights of stairs is not fun.

-Posture: You might think sitting upright is comfortable, until you hit a nice stiff headwind. Chicago is famous for wind, and on a good day you will have a headwind coming in and going home! All that wind must go around your comfy upright posture, slowing you down and making you work harder.

-Resistance: All this weight, aerodynamic inefficiency, along with big knobby soft tires adds up to more work and slower going.

So if you don't mind getting a little more exercise, less speed/longer commute time, lugging a heavier bike up stairs (unless you live at ground level), by all means get a hybrid, but don't be surprised if you get bit by the bug and get a road bike in a year or two. Hybrids are nice too, cause they're tough as nails - even the cheaper ones, you'll get fewer flats with the big knobby tires, and it'll need less adjustment and maintenance - as they're just not as finicky as a road bike.
Marsupialized wrote:Right now somewhere nearby there is a fat video game nerd in his apartment fucking a pretty hot girl he met off craigslist. God bless that craig and his list.

Hybrid Bicycle Advice

I just got a bianchi san jose and I'm pretty into it. It is not hybrid, nor do you sit upright, but it's single speed, which makes riding easy. It's ridiculously light, so it's really easy to carry up and down stairs and it's easy to get pedaling at intersections. That's one of my big things, being able to get going quickly. OH and if I ever wanted to get a little crazy, I can simply flip the back wheel and it becomes fixed gear. It's a great bike and I would recommend it if you ever decide to get a road bike.

http://www.bianchiusa.com/07_san_jose.html

Hybrid Bicycle Advice

That's not a bad bike. However, it seems that the Bianchis command a higher price than I think is justified, given the demand for them by certain "market-segments" in certain "locales".

I regularly see used Bianchi single-speeds going for $500+, when by all rights no one should be paying that much for a 4130/Cro-Mo frame, considering a Cro-Mo Schwinn, Miyata, or similar will go for half that. Especially the chrome Pistas. Those things seem to be the hipster holy-grail.

Yeah, they are "Italian", but nowhere near a Colnago, DeRosa or Cinelli in terms of build quality, and Bianchi does make high-end frames from Columbus SL and Al, Ti, Carbon..., but those aren't the ones you see on craigslist or going down Milwaukee Ave.

I rode a geared San Jose once and it was a pretty decent bike though! If not a little on the soft side.

The one thing I just don't understand: How is riding a geared bike difficult? I hear that from single/fixie afficienados all the time, "riding a single/fixed is so easy", "there's so much less to think about riding a single...", etc...

I ride a single-speed as my second 'crappy weather/weekend' bike, the advantages being: easy to clean, easy to maintain, less to steal or less of a theft magnet, but I just don't get the "easy to ride". Is riding with gears that difficult? Is this even something you have to think about? I mean, you find the gear that best matches your cadence and you shift depending on wind and grade to maintain your cadence. Downshift when you're going to stop and upshift as you accelerate. This should all be second nature, like driving a stick shift car. Do people complain about having to think about shifting a car, or does that become second nature too? Hmmm....
Marsupialized wrote:Right now somewhere nearby there is a fat video game nerd in his apartment fucking a pretty hot girl he met off craigslist. God bless that craig and his list.

Hybrid Bicycle Advice

I had to google to know what is a hybrid bike. It looks to be the same as trekking bike, as the one I use. It's a best option, aside from serious mountains I can drive anywhere where my MTB riding friends can, and out do them in a straight line without any effort.

- You have to feel comfortable. Ask each and every one of your friends to let you ride their bikes and choose frame size that fits you the most.

- If you're unsure about things, find out whether you can buy a bike with adjustable 'bridge'(don't know the English term- Part on which the steering stick (?) is mounted. That will allow you to sit either almost vertically or nearly tour-de-france style. Avoid near-horizontal bridges, they're useless unless you know you need them.

- For 2 miles rides, everything that won't fall apart will suit you. So I recommend buying a used one, figuring out what you do and don't like and maybe buying another bike later, after you will know what you need.

- Tyres. So important, they are. Wide ass tyres look cool in the store, but they're absolutely useless unless you're into downhill runs in with 10 inches of sand on the road. Also, very narrow, tour-de-france style tyres are a huge pain in the ass in the city as every curb or hole in the surface becomes a serious threat. Also, don't buy slicks. Sooner or later you will ride through a mud and it's good to have some grip (untill you figure out that having the back sliding all over the place is fun too). Semi-slicks, mid-way, however they're called. A huge tyre tread will definitely be an overkill for city riding (it's gonna slow you down). I recently switched from this to just tad wider ones and they're perfect, and I ride on everything for miles.

- Frame size. If you're tall, buy a bike with a bigger frame. Smaller frames and 26'' wheels are really fun to ride in the forest when you need to change directions really quickly. Large frame and 28'' wheels will make you quicker (and fit you more, if you're tall) .

- pedals. not important on 2 miles rides, very important on long runs. Wider pedal will make you feet feel far more comfortable and pain-prone. Also, plastic pedals tend to fall apart. PIN pedals will damage your sneakers on the long runs

- If you haven't biked in years, you will probably experience ass and back pains. It will go away quickly (if you had any kind of problems with back bone, you should definitely choose a bike with a near- vertical position on it.

- Saddle. the wider, the better.

Hybrid Bicycle Advice

Do NOT guess on frame size. Do NOT take friends advice on frame size by eyeing you up.

Go to a bike shop and get measured and properly sized. This should be free or near free and only take a few minutes. You won't need a fancy racer's $300 frame sizing, so don't get talked into it (but that goes without saying).

There are also frame size calculators online, which you can use if you have a sewing tape measure.

There's a little bit more to sizing than just height or inseam, and if you take a little bit of time, you'll get the perfect fit.

Best luck!

Hybrid Bicycle Advice

geiginni wrote:That's not a bad bike. However, it seems that the Bianchis command a higher price than I think is justified, given the demand for them by certain "market-segments" in certain "locales".

I regularly see used Bianchi single-speeds going for $500+, when by all rights no one should be paying that much for a 4130/Cro-Mo frame, considering a Cro-Mo Schwinn, Miyata, or similar will go for half that. Especially the chrome Pistas. Those things seem to be the hipster holy-grail.

Yeah, they are "Italian", but nowhere near a Colnago, DeRosa or Cinelli in terms of build quality, and Bianchi does make high-end frames from Columbus SL and Al, Ti, Carbon..., but those aren't the ones you see on craigslist or going down Milwaukee Ave.

I rode a geared San Jose once and it was a pretty decent bike though! If not a little on the soft side.

The one thing I just don't understand: How is riding a geared bike difficult? I hear that from single/fixie afficienados all the time, "riding a single/fixed is so easy", "there's so much less to think about riding a single...", etc...

I ride a single-speed as my second 'crappy weather/weekend' bike, the advantages being: easy to clean, easy to maintain, less to steal or less of a theft magnet, but I just don't get the "easy to ride". Is riding with gears that difficult? Is this even something you have to think about? I mean, you find the gear that best matches your cadence and you shift depending on wind and grade to maintain your cadence. Downshift when you're going to stop and upshift as you accelerate. This should all be second nature, like driving a stick shift car. Do people complain about having to think about shifting a car, or does that become second nature too? Hmmm....

I feel I appreciate the single speed as being an easier ride because as you've mentioned it is much easier to maintain, less stuff, etc. Not necessarily because shifting gears is terribly difficult, but I can understand why someone who doesn't ride often would do well with a single speed. As for fixed gear being easier, well, that seems like it would take a bit of time to get used to. The first time I rode one, I almost shat myself. Crazy. I thought about getting that Pista, which is indeed the hipster holy grail, but the guys at boulevard bikes strongly advised NOT to get it. Apparently the san jose is much easier to customize and can be rode in fixed gear if wanted. I recommend it!

Hybrid Bicycle Advice

mhannigan wrote:
geiginni wrote:That's not a bad bike. However, it seems that the Bianchis command a higher price than I think is justified, given the demand for them by certain "market-segments" in certain "locales".

I feel I appreciate the single speed as being an easier ride because as you've mentioned it is much easier to maintain, less stuff, etc. Not necessarily because shifting gears is terribly difficult, but I can understand why someone who doesn't ride often would do well with a single speed. As for fixed gear being easier, well, that seems like it would take a bit of time to get used to. The first time I rode one, I almost shat myself. Crazy. I thought about getting that Pista, which is indeed the hipster holy grail, but the guys at boulevard bikes strongly advised NOT to get it. Apparently the san jose is much easier to customize and can be rode in fixed gear if wanted. I recommend it!

Definitely did well on that count. With track drops/frame, yeah you not only can't add gears if you wish, but you have no braze ons for the other accessories as you mention. And, as a commuter, you should have the option to add fenders, bottle cages, a pump, etc...

Pre-80s and some later british frames are excellent in this regard, as their dropouts are generally long and rather horizontal, allowing the single/fixie conversion. Hell, I still use quick release axles with my mid-80s Raleigh conversion just fine.

Hybrid Bicycle Advice

bianchi's are expensive because of their history, and their colour - people think they're the archetypal beautiful italian bike, but they're they're made in the far east these days. total overkill.
For me, I don't get the single speed thing at all, but then i live in a place with hills, and i like to be able to bend my knees.
I'm wary of creating too much conflict in the advice you're getting, but i would recommend getting a cheap but still nice second hand road bike - I don't know if it's the same over there in the states, but here, the bike thieves go for flashy full suspension mountain bikes, and ignore much better, but shabby looking road bikes. Just fit some (relatively) fat tyres for comfort. I always worry that people new to cycling get put off, because they go for "comfort", which means weight, and then think that cycling's too hard and it's not for them.
Having said that, on a recent trip to Geneva, I borrowed a specialized cirrus, and found it to be a very nice city bike, comfortable and stable without being too heavy, although it did feel a bit flabby at times.
Anyway, the best advice I could give you is definitely do it! Cycling is the only sensible way to get round a city - it will help you discover a new city you didn't know was there.

Hybrid Bicycle Advice

seth wrote:bianchi's are expensive because of their history, and their colour - people think they're the archetypal beautiful italian bike, but they're they're made in the far east these days. total overkill.

Yeah, I just don't get it though. Most bike nerds should know that most Bianchis pale in comparison to the craftsmanship and finish of a classic MASI, Colnago, Cinelli, DeRosa, etc..., or even most classic british frame builders like Carlton, Hetchins, Bates... On the other hand, most hipster folks may not be able or willing to pay the big bucks to get a top notch classic italian frame, or find a Hetchins Magnum Opus on craigslist, but in that case, might just as well consider a lighter cheaper Lemond, Trek, Nishiki, Fuji, etc.. that's just as good if not better.

I agree with your recommendation on a second hand road bike. Something steel, made of lightweight Reynolds or TruTemper tubing, with 25c or 28c tires, and a halfway decent groupset and rims.

If you're going to get a road bike with gears, get one with combination brake-shift levers, also called 'brifters' or 'indexed shifting'. This will make a huge difference as the old fashioned downtube friction shifters suck and will be blamed for the difficulty of shifting and the "click-a-da-click-a-da-click-a-da" when not properly positioned.