Great Older Threads

frelnamp wrote:Immerse yourself in the spasmodic birth pangs of our unique communicative arena

http://www.electrical.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=510

:o :x 8) :x

Andrew Weatherhead in 2003 wrote:However, the possibility of ignoring this Jerm fella was next to impossible as he posted 40 times IN ONE WEEK!!!!

Wow they'd really shit a brick if they saw how many times people post in one week now. I'm so glad people have stopped taking the piss out of each other on the forum. Those guys really nipped that in the bud.
Last edited by Heeby Jeeby_Archive on Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Great Older Threads

frelnamp wrote:Man, I can't make it through some of this shit

http://www.electrical.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1324

sample:

Certainly there is anger in Nirvana's music; however, that is neither tantamount nor exclusive to being "testosterone fueled". To this listener, the anger is subordinate to the pervasive sadness. If anything, I'd argue that the anger was a reaction to all things "testosterone fueled".

Wow that thread is only one page long and I couldn't make it to the end. Yaaawwwn.

Great Older Threads

Heeby Jeeby wrote:
frelnamp wrote:Man, I can't make it through some of this shit

http://www.electrical.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1324

sample:

Certainly there is anger in Nirvana's music; however, that is neither tantamount nor exclusive to being "testosterone fueled". To this listener, the anger is subordinate to the pervasive sadness. If anything, I'd argue that the anger was a reaction to all things "testosterone fueled".

Wow that thread is only one page long and I couldn't make it to the end. Yaaawwwn.

You dumbasses.
King of the Punk Rogers.

Great Older Threads

Rog wrote:You dumbasses.

I may be a dumbass, dipshit, but at least I didn't write this convoluted brain-sprained pus bilge:

Culturally speaking, we are living in postmodern times (and if you don't believe me, watch that new VH1 show that asks you to be nostalgic about LAST WEEK). To define terms, I'm referring to a culture which:

-Believes fundamentally that we've reached 'the end of history' (i.e. the end of modernism) and that there's nothing truly new under the sun
-Has a deep and self-conscious awareness of cultural history and specific cultural movements/events/trends within that history (often broken down into decades)
-Has a cultural outlook that is fundamentally irreverent, ironic, humorous (everything that modernism supposedly wasn't)
-DOES NOT make value judgements which would place categories like highbrow/middlebrow/lowbrow on culture
-Believes that only in the mixing and matching of different cultural movements/events/trends from the past, without the self-imposed restrictions and divisions of highbrow/lowbrow, "good"/"bad", etc., can something "new" be created

Looking at it this way, pretty much all current rock bands are postmodern. That includes underground/indie/punk bands. I think a postmodernist would say to anybody playing rock music in 2004 that they are participating in an act of nostalgia within an essentially dead form. That's not to say that great music can't be made within it.

Sometimes I think bands like Autechre are pointing toward a way out of postmoderism (back in to modernism?). I listen to them and can't really hear any cultural signifiers of what came before. Their song titles aren't in any language (like "Finnegan's Wake" wasn't). They are using technology that didn't exist before. As a modernist, I strongly approve.