Re: So anyway, back to poker 2.0

So I didn't get to post a postmortem of the Polk-Negreanu heads-up online no limit Hold-'Em match. I thought Negreanu would win. My reasoning, such as it was, was that despite this being Polk's game, he had quit playing right in the middle of a tournament because he was so sick of the game. Negreanu, on the other hand, had kept on with the game and had studied the format in anticipation of challenging Polk. He'd have top-notch coaching in addition to his native skill at no-limit Hold-'Em.

Boy was I wrong. Negreanu lost $1.2 million and was dominated throughout, only appearing competitive in a few sessions. Polk said afterwards that Negreanu did better than he expected, which makes me think that Polk's opinion of Negreanu must have been quite low at the start.

I guess the lesson is that the hours and hours of playing that Polk put in didn't decay. It was like riding a bicycle. And that Negreanu was wildly overconfident, repeatedly complaining that his worst sessions were the result of drawing incredibly badly.

In the wake of that spanking, Negreanu challenged Phil Hellmuth to a heads-up no-limit match which Negreanu also lost. You almost have to admire his tenacity.