Catholicism

Crap
Total votes: 23 (92%)
Not crap
Total votes: 2 (8%)
Total votes: 25

Re: Institution: the Roman Catholic Church

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:04 amYour bullshit literally stops me coming here
None of my business, really, but that’s the reason you haven’t been on the forum as of late? Figured you were off making a film or something. Do your thing, but don’t let religious stuff turn you away from a rock ’n’ roll site.

Anyway, InMySoul77/Nerbly, you might mean well, and you’re obviously passionate about this subject, but I don’t think you’ll be making much headway here discussing your religious preoccupations. This would be the case even without the numerology stuff, the sometimes-delusional thoughts you’ve exhibited, whatever people would make of your history on the MK I version of the forum, your overall credibility, etc.

Simply put, religion can be touchy subject, especially in excess. Some people have had it crammed down their throats from an early age and even the most even-handed discussions of it can be a turn-off. I could enumerate other reasons people might be fed up with it now, like how right wing Christian interests have been actively involved in the consolidation of power and curbing of civil liberties in America (making others’ lives worse), or the Catholic Church’s many sex scandals, Catholicism's unhealthy obsession with guilt, etc. But suffice it to say, anyone harping on this stuff is probably gonna be pushing their luck here. They’d almost be better off revamping 9/11 talk. (No, that’s not a dare!)
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .

New Novel.

This thread isn't about me. Yes I put my position on my first post but I didn't create this thread to argue with people. You all can post whatever you want. Just because I created the thread doesn't mean I'm using it to hector people or push my view down people's throats. Hate the church? Go off, dudes. It doesn't hurt my feelings. Or ignore the thread. Whatever you want. I'm interested in open dialogue and you guys can post whatever.

It feels like I'm getting blamed for talking about a topic that's unpopular here and controversial, and that shouldn't be the case.

Okay, so I don't actually think Jesus is THE son of God, nor do I believe that Christianity is the clearest map for unlocking the nature of the universe *BUT* I think both secular people, and open minded Christians can agree on a few things.

1. Jesus was a radical, anti-authoritarian Jew, who hated the corruption Rome was infiltrating the Jewish temples with. Jesus was not a Christian, but a radical Jewish reformer.
2. After he died and became a big sensation Rome just wanted to brutalize his followers since they were following a radical revolutionary who challenged their authority who now had the power of being a martyr.
3. After some of his followers (mostly Paul who put a ton of words in JC's mouth since they lived about a century apart and retconned it as divine inspiration (notice how a lot of people did this from here out)) consolidated the movement, Rome had no choice but to co-opt it.
4. They did it in the most grotesque, Roman Empire, gold plated dildos, palace intrigue way possible.
5. If Jesus were alive he'd be flipping tables over in the joint and wandering around the ghettos in sandals talking shit about the union between fantastic wealth, political power, and pseudo-spiritual leaders.

The Catholic Church as an institution from the historic roots, the vulgar displays of wealth, to the institutional tolerance and cover-ups of pedophelia is certifiably bullshit. Total crap. This doesn't mean all Catholics are crap, some of them are very good folk.

As a side script the gnostic nature of numerology is old playbook for psyop manipulation. If you want the best metaphor for this kind of pitfall check out Umberto Ecco's Foucault's Pendulum.

InMySoul77 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:28 am It's The Truth.

In this post I will prove with only three numbers that the Roman Catholic Church is the true church of Christ.

Numerical significance of 5, 6 and 7:

5: Grace
6: Man
7: Divinity, perfection and completion
wikipedia wrote: Numerology (known prior to the 20th century as arithmancy) is the belief in an occult, divine or mystical relationship between a number and one or more coinciding events.
InMySoul77 wrote: My original post isn't really about numerology. Everything there is easily Google-able. It's intended to show the designed nature of these patterns. They can't be explained by "chance" or human conspiracy. Augustine, one of the great Catholic philosophers, analyzed numbers like that, too.

I'll offer some excerpts here from an interesting article that taps into the recent gnostic trend in internet rabbit holes and political decay. This is a collaborative essay from two writers named Isaac Ariail Reed and Michael Weinman. https://hedgehogreview.com/issues/hope- ... ses-to-end

There's some heavier stuff on Hegel and Nietzsche that we might need kokorodoko to pull apart, but the general points are fairly clear to me.

They do a good job defining gnosticism:

"1. A radical dualism between “a good transcendent God and an evil world,” which is to say, a dualism of transcendence and immanence as the fundamental binary for making sense of experience.
2. The estrangement of the transcendent God from the world, a God crucially understood not only as “hidden and concealed” but also “not the creator of this world.” This world is the creation of a lesser and evil Godlike power that is “always at odds with the one true transcendental Godly power”—the result being an immanent world of materiality and embodiment, with earthly systems of moral judgment and status attainment that are inherently corrupt, profane, and unredeemable.
3. Human existence understood as “torn between worldly existence and divine and hidden inner essence,” the latter being not just alienated from the social structures and physical laws of the given world, but radically alienated from them, to the point that even felt moral sentiments and obligations are understood as deriving from the immanent, profane world as well.
4. The conviction that Gnosis, the secret knowledge possessed by the select few who have seen the evil-made world for what it is, enables them to connect with the true, the good, and the transcendent by means of a radical rejection and violent overthrow of what is in front of them.
5. That as a spur to action and thought in this (demonic) world, Gnosis provides guidance for bringing about the end of this world and the beginning of the new—or as the German émigré intellectual and political philosopher Eric Voegelin put it (at least in the wording popularized by his followers), for immanentizing the eschaton."

Later they refer to gnosticism as a driving force in the violence of Stalinists and Nazis:

"In these movements, the very relationship among violence, politics, and necessity was given a new understanding. Arendt explores this at length in Eichmann in Jerusalem when she considers the specific way in which mass annihilation became possible through a stunning moral inversion. Inside the Nazi machine, killing became necessary and one’s basic human instinct for sympathy and capacity for judgment had to be repressed or suspended, because the intensity of the renunciation of sympathy and judgment corresponded to the intensity of one’s belief in the radical newness of the world to come. The secret knowledge (Gnosis) of the coming world guaranteed that what seemed immoral now was, in reality, the only moral thing to do—one had to pierce the veil and create, for future generations, an entirely new humanity with a new history."

Lastly, if you're as dense as me you'll have to look up thymotic (the part of the psyche that feels shame, pride etc).

"Thymotic needs are hard to meet, especially in a world in which the gig economy is increasingly entrenched and an ever greater relative deprivation resulting from stagnant wages and rising costs is normalized. As the world in common evaporates, the search for significance quickly attaches itself to stories unrelated to the world as it actually is. The Gnostic impulse, feeding on alienation and disrespect, generates conspiracy theories, messianic expectations, and new certainties available to those who “do the research” in the strange loops of QAnon. Gnosticism flourishes because, in the absence of a world in common, significance is sought and secured without evidence or reason. This political culture stands in the strongest possible contrast with an Arendtian conception of “the public” as a space of appearance in which citizens exhibit the inherent plurality of the human condition, in regard both to what we might call their primary identity markers and to their political commitments, and in which citizens come together to bring about something in the world that could not be achieved privately. "