Total votes: 8 (44%)
not helpful
Total votes: 7 (39%)
harmful
Total votes: 3 (17%)
Total votes: 18

Re: activists: just stop oil

Geiginni wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:28 am
A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:12 pm That they manage to beat through so much bullshit to get in front of our eyeballs at all is point enough.
Oh, like I don’t know what’s going on out there in the world? I need some antics like this to wake up to the reality facing humanity? Bullshit.

Just stop oil? Who will be the first to give up flying anywhere, driving most anywhere, heating their homes, consuming most packaging and pharmaceuticals. Give up high-yeird agriculture, most clothing.

Can you go 8-10 years without replacing a phone or laptop? Where are your vegan non dairy products and avocados and high value fruits and vegetables coming from? They’re not coming from down the road in Old Blighty in January.

You want to go off the grid? what kind of energy input and supply chain energy sources are getting those solar panels to your home? That composting toilet? What kind of energy footprint does you or your loved ones end of life care look like?
I highly doubt they want everyone to just disconnect everything they own overnight; even a gradual switch over to renewables would be favourable, I'd think. However, that carbon goals are universally being blown past by governments with no commitment to right the ship, I kind of understand them basically screaming in everyone's faces to do something (even if, like others, I'm not sure their chosen tactics are the most effective).

Of their activist activities, I do think this one is a little better than vandalizing Stonehenge:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/climate-acti ... 26900.html

[Climate activists covered private jets in orange paint...]

There is an obvious association between oil and planes, and the folks in these planes are probably going to have to take their planes out of commission for a while to get them repainted.

Sounds like they were hoping to get Taylor Swift's plane, which definitely would have garnered even more attention.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

I’m into activism that achieves its goals, not theater. Throwing paint on art, blocking freeways—this is cosplay, not activism. It has never once moved the needle in the right direction.

And while false flag operations are much, much rarer than radicals of any stripe believe (though not nonexistent!), I would assume that any asshole that does this shit is a plant and should be treated as such.

Wood Goblin wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:24 pm I’m into activism that achieves its goals, not theater. Throwing paint on art, blocking freeways—this is cosplay, not activism. It has never once moved the needle in the right direction.

And while false flag operations are much, much rarer than radicals of any stripe believe (though not nonexistent!), I would assume that any asshole that does this shit is a plant and should be treated as such.
Agreed. They kind of atomise activism. A couple of very middle class kids doing a stunt is not the kind of mass mobilisation needed to move the dial faster.

Adam Curtis would have a field day
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

ChudFusk wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:02 pm If they want to change things, they should start killing people. That’s the only way.
I was thinking earlier that self-immolation would have been more effective than what they are doing. Initially, they'd have to use a little bit of oil, but afterwards that's one less person dependent on oil.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

ChudFusk wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:02 pm If they want to change things, they should start killing people. That’s the only way.
Fucking ecoterrorism. I think there's fun movie script where climate activists start executing the CEOs of the top 100 polluting companies. If you dare step into a c-level position: BAM assassinated. Quite literally capitalism vs the people.

I suppose Baader Meinhof paved the way for it.

chexmixbreath wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:03 am
Dad…?
Exactly.

Everything sounds like a great idea until the actual impacts are felt by you the individual. As long as the target is “government” or “corporations” you’re all for it.

When you can no longer go on that intercontinental vacation or fly home to visit family, can’t relocate to another city, when you can no longer afford avocados or almond milk and your food bill is 1/3 your income, or afford to keep your apartment above 65 degrees in winter or below 85 in the summer, or buy the cheap shit you love to order off Temu or Forever 21 or whateverthehell it is right now, when you can’t get the new iPhone and have to be on a waiting list for five years for a laptop or wait for months to get a Eurail ticket, that’s when shit gets real.

Because to address this now, without some magic technology roll out that will take decades to proliferate, you will be asked to make some sacrifices that result in pre-industrial economic burdens and give up many aspects of modern life that make it worth living. Given younger generations lack of grit and resilience, I don’t think it will be done.

andyman wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:09 pm
Fucking ecoterrorism. I think there's fun movie script where climate activists start executing the CEOs of the top 100 polluting companies. If you dare step into a c-level position: BAM assassinated. Quite literally capitalism vs the people.

I suppose Baader Meinhof paved the way for it.
You’re taking about a hydra that will just grow new heads. Your demand for their end products will ensure the hydra lives on.

A real solution would be a virus that renders 90% of humans sterile, a pandemic that kills 60-75% of the human population, or some combination of similar circumstances. A 3km diameter asteroid traveling at 27km/sec….

Consider how much a minor pandemic that only killed 2-3 million people impacted our systems and economies…

I don't know the answer but what I do know is that gains in this country were made because of civil disobedience and not out of a moral obligation to do what is right. Who knew that civil disobedience would cause so much discomfort, but I get it - I'm hella inconvenienced by Critical Mass! Take that noise to the bike trails!
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell