I love singing that bit.

Well I hear that Laurel Canyon
is full of famous stars
But I hate them worse than lepers
and I'll kill them in their cars

Me too. I've sung along a lot now in my car recently. Also:

But I'm still not happy
I feel like there's something wrong

just might be the scariest lines in the entire song, cause of the way Neil sings them.

I think I could sing the entire On The Beach album if I wanted to. My range - such as it is - is very well suited by that record. Especially the places where Neil sings lower, but can't quite hit the lowest notes.

I actually taught myself the title track recently. Pretty simple song. Simple, but brilliant.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

Groucho Marx wrote:Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Favorite Neil Young Album

These albums are perfect. I cannot choose among them, so I have to do chronological order:

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
After The Gold Rush
Time Fades Away
On The Beach
Tonight's The Night
Zuma
Rust Never Sleeps
Ragged Glory

These albums are nearly perfect, with few unlistenable tracks:
Neil Young
Harvest
American Stars & Bars
Comes A Time
Re-Ac-Tor
(for the feedback)
Trans (for the great songs under the effects)
Freedom
Harvest Moon
Mirror Ball

Favorite songs: "Powderfinger," "Alabama," "Lookout Joe," "Ambulance Blues," damn, too many to name.

Neil Young is a genius of some sort. His music affects me like few other musicans have managed.
Mike McGovern

Colonel Panic wrote:
Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:"He tried to do his best but he could not."

"The Needle and the Damage Done" is generally considered to be Neil Young's greatest anti-dope song, but "Tired Eyes" is so much stronger.

"The Needle and the Damage Done" is a nursery rhyme by comparison.

Now, I'm not real big on irony, "but "please take my advice," repeated throughout "Tired Eyes," is, given the context of both singer and song, a supremely ironic statement in the best possible sense.

Neil Young fucking rules.
dontfeartheringo wrote:I need people to act like grown folks and I just ain't seeing it.

tommydski wrote:I never actually listened to anything post-Zuma.

Is it worth it?

I like you, Tommy. I like you a lot. That's why I'm gonna reach over and slap your sensitive Limey dick if you don't check out the three albums that succeed Zuma.

While I regret offering a top five, I find this thread inspiring.

Neil Young does fucking rule.

tommydski wrote:I never actually listened to anything post-Zuma.

Is it worth it?

IF you haven't heard Rust Never Sleeps...

...well, IF you haven't, let's just say you are in for one hell of a treat.

It honestly, on a song-for-song basis, could be his best album.

That album, at any rate, is truly worth checking out.

I actually haven't heard some of the other stuff that I should, like "Like A Hurricane." But I'm going to check it out soon.

I love Neil Young.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

Groucho Marx wrote:Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

So, it was my first Neil's gig yesterday !

fucking awesome !
he fucking rules !!

the stage was so pretty ! an hydro speed fan, an indian totem, a painter acting during the whole concert, an 3/4 white piano painted with vivids colours, 2 harmoniums, a marimba, and a shit load of ampegs, fender deluxe amps everywhere, a Leslie cabinet...

the sound was unbelivable, i'm missing my woooooooords.

a cowgirl in the sand who lasted for 25 minutes !!! and a song i didn't knew, they played twice, because they didn't have the chance to play it that often, so he asked the crowd if he can play it once again...

now, just add A day in the life (Beatle's cover) as last encore and
you have the perfect gig !

Set list :

Love & only love / Hey Hey My My / everybody knows this is nowhere / Powderfinger /spirit road / Cortez killer /Cinnamon girl /

acoustic part :

Oh lonesome me ! / Mother Earth / the needle & the damage done / unknow legend / ????(didn't know this one)/ Heart of gold / Oh man !

back to electric :

Singing a song won't change the world / ???? (the song he played twice)
/ Cowgirl in the sand / Keep on rockin in the free world /

encore :

A day in the life

Steve V. wrote:Okay, so it turns out my dad has a bunch of Neil Young records.

I've now heard "Tonight's the Night" (good), "After the Gold Rush" (better),
and "Rust Never Sleeps" (best).

I'm actually envious of you, to be listening to these records for the first time would rule, it really would.

You have to stick with Tonight's the Night, it's a little slower to payoff but when it does, it's heart breaking. The record is a tribute/testament to Danny Whitten and a longtime roadie/friend. Try Albuquerque and Borrowed Tune, then go from there.