Do you approve of the use of surveillance cameras in public places as a crime fighting tool?

Yes
Total votes: 11 (21%)
No
Total votes: 33 (63%)
Waffles
Total votes: 8 (15%)
Total votes: 52

Public Surveillance Cameras

space junk wrote:I'd like to hear someone explain exactly what it is they object to about the cameras, other than a) they "don't like" being filmed, b) it is totally "Orwellian" or c) erm...they just don't like being filmed.

What - exactly - are you scared of? I find their presence unpleasant, and I don't like being filmed one bit, by anybody. So I get filmed in public. So some creep I don't know watches me. So someone has footage of me. What the fuck are they going to do with it which could be so harmful to me?

I really don't give too much of a fuck about surveillance cameras.

Saying that the picture quality and framerate of these cameras is unthreatening will not stand the test of time. Getting incredibly high-quality cameras which store data efficiently and are unbelievably (now) inexpensive is something that is practically on our doorstep. I'm not talking about 50 years, I'm talking under 20. I don't need to provide a source for this. Watch the trends.

The ominous thing about these cameras is that we DON'T KNOW what they might be used for outside of their supposed functions.

Rick Rueben, you confuse and scare the fucking hell out of me, but you also have opened my eyes to the shadowy world of the unknown, especially regarding POWER RELATIONSHIPS (thank you ?).

A rule: do not give up any part of yourself that someone wishes to take without permission.

Even if you don't understand how it could be harmful, even if you don't understand how it helps you, even if you never REALIZED you possessed this thing until something conspires to take it from you, fucking hold onto it.

This thread should just be named Crap/NC: Trust

I'd vote CRAP. WF 9.11 (infinity)
Madness waits for some. It creeps up on others.

I forget. Did anyone mention how horrible those robocop cameras with the blue flashers make a neighborhood street look at night?
Aside from the obvious abuses they enable, they turn an otherwise nice looking street into a surreal, science fiction, quarantine, prison camp scene.
There is a few of these in wicker park for christ sake. Wicker fucking Park! One street in Bridgeport, which is calm and quiet and always has been, is painted with this flashing blue light, like a cop car was permanently stationed in the sky. It's totally unsettling there at night. I would be sick if that were on my street.
Through life, your memories and feelings associated with those police siren lights are that of terror, and bad events (tickets, fights, car accidents, fires, shootings, people dying). It's very purpose is to alarm you. Now that is going to be outside your window 24 hours a day. How fucking miserable.

Greg Norman FG

Rick Reuben wrote:
space junk wrote:I'd like to hear someone explain exactly what it is they object to about the cameras, other than a) they "don't like" being filmed, b) it is totally "Orwellian" or c) erm...they just don't like being filmed.

The ruling class is investing heavily in data harvesting because knowledge of the enemy is priceless. The core objective is to eliminate surprises. With the advantage of deep penetration of the collective zeitgeist, the controllers plot out a destination and then make society go to that destination, by convincing society that the destination was their choice ( usually by inventing two trends that produce a desired synthesis outcome ). When the dust clears, society is convinced that they wanted to go there all along.

Ultimately, the Matrix exists to track the success of the Matrix. They're monitoring you, but most critically, they're monitoring their own machine, to see if the police state is creeping up on people at a pace that does not spark a backlash. Increments, increments, increments.