Bush - Glycerine
Total votes: 2 (4%)
Live - Lightning Crashes
Total votes: 16 (33%)
Everclear - Santa Monica
Total votes: 4 (8%)
Total votes: 49

Re: Worst Mid-90's Mega-Hit

I saw Collective Soul like, maybe 20 years ago? They were playing our town and I liked the radio hits at the time, so I thought I'd check it out. I thought they were surprisingly good live.

I don't like those songs anymore though, except for 'Gel'.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

enframed wrote:Also, the article above alludes (at least) to Taylor Swift being a solo act. She isn't. She has a band, pretty sure she always has. There's a HUGE difference between an MC/producer (Drake) and Taylor Swift. They don't seem to differentiate in the above article.

Finally, there's no shortage of bands playing live shows, in LA anyway.
NYC is full of bands, too.

What Carducci and Schwartz fixated on is that there are pretty much no high-charting bands anymore compared to in the past. They actually spat out some numbers from the Hot 100, comparing decades against one another, and the decline in groups and duos was pretty drastic.

By their logic, even a quartet of dopes w/a management team and a Desmond Child writing their crappy hit still has to make compromises on tour or in the practice room. It's rarely just one ego and it's more of a team. You've still got multiple players creating a sort of friction, even if there's an obvious leader.

And according to those guys (can't back this up), one face, dramatically and steadily addressing a camera, will usually get more traction via TikTok and other algorithms. (Unless it's a group doing something very antic in near-unison, a la a K-pop dance routine.)

As for Swift, I sort of doubt she's maintained anything like a consistent backing band thruout her career, who contribute meaningfully to her records and performances from an aesthetic standpoint. I suppose I could be wrong, given that I know so little about her. Has she had a stalwart bassist or a few long-time drummers or something since her country days? I dunno. But I'd bet against it.

zircona1 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:55 pm I saw Collective Soul like, maybe 20 years ago? They were playing our town and I liked the radio hits at the time, so I thought I'd check it out. I thought they were surprisingly good live.

I feel like “bands that are much better than their hits would suggest” is an interesting topic.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com

zircona1 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:55 pm I saw Collective Soul like, maybe 20 years ago? They were playing our town and I liked the radio hits at the time, so I thought I'd check it out. I thought they were surprisingly good live.

You could make the argument they were better than Ryan Adams or some other erstwhile Pitchfork darling.
We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores.

OrthodoxEaster wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:02 pm
enframed wrote:Also, the article above alludes (at least) to Taylor Swift being a solo act. She isn't. She has a band, pretty sure she always has. There's a HUGE difference between an MC/producer (Drake) and Taylor Swift. They don't seem to differentiate in the above article.

Finally, there's no shortage of bands playing live shows, in LA anyway.
NYC is full of bands, too.

What Carducci and Schwartz fixated on is that there are pretty much no high-charting bands anymore compared to in the past. They actually spat out some numbers from the Hot 100, comparing decades against one another, and the decline in groups and duos was pretty drastic.

By their logic, even a quartet of dopes w/a management team and a Desmond Child writing their crappy hit still has to make compromises on tour or in the practice room. It's rarely just one ego and it's more of a team. You've still got multiple players creating a sort of friction, even if there's an obvious leader.

And according to those guys (can't back this up), one face, dramatically and steadily addressing a camera, will usually get more traction via TikTok and other algorithms. (Unless it's a group doing something very antic in near-unison, a la a K-pop dance routine.)

As for Swift, I sort of doubt she's maintained anything like a consistent backing band thruout her career, who contribute meaningfully to her records and performances from an aesthetic standpoint. I suppose I could be wrong, given that I know so little about her. Has she had a stalwart bassist or a few long-time drummers or something since her country days? I dunno. But I'd bet against it.
Oh, charts specifically, yeah, sure. I suspect that began when DJs started gathering national notoriety as opposed to being regionally specific. I was working in a record shop in the early 00s and this was definitely the case.

We tend to be celebrity driven, as a culture (America) so it's not surprising that cults of personality are more appealing than a band. We want to know people without ever having met them.

This got me thinking about one-man "bands" like, say, Papa M, or even Magnetic Fields, or Songs:Ohia. These were bands but very much in the control of one person, who eschewed "self" in a way that Swift does not. Could any band like that, of any genre, ever been/be as big as Swift? Hard to say. I think not, though.

Swift does have a long-time drummer and bass player, both have been with her 15 years or more. Dunno how much creativity they provide, but I can't imagine it's negligible. I'm not a fan of Swift (I don't hate her music, either), but I went down a rabbit hole recently when I heard she sold out nine days at a football stadium here in LA and has the highest grossing tour in history, over $1B last year.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

Taylor Swift has transfigured into this generation's Madonna (Madonna actually started as a punk/new wave singer). She's had such tremendous success that it's given her a lot of autonomy and artistic license. Her fans are fucking rabid. When the subpar Patriots played the Chiefs in Foxboro last season, the crowd was largely Swifties.
We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores.