what're you buyin', what's on its way?

So, I sold a bunch of stuff to buy work clothes. I was able to spend a little gear money on gear and ordered a Smallsound/Bigsound Mini overdrive. I don't usually spend on stuff I haven't played in person, but I've wanted to try this one for a good while now. The OCD/OCD clone sounds good, but is never quite right. What the hell.Antero wrote:Yesterday I picked up a extremely clean Silvertone 1483 head, remarkable condition for something fifty five goddamn years old. Got it for an extremely reasonable price from a professional musician up in the hills who was culling his amp collection. I'm really excited - I love my 1484, I feel a strong personal connection to its whole vibe and its interaction with my weird guitar, and now I don't have to worry about it blowing up.That is cool. I always think of these but never had a chance to play one. I also get them mixed up. Is the 1483 the little bass one? How do they fare as an alternative to BF or SF Bandmasters and Bassmen? Putting the chassis of one of the little bass dudes in a 1x12 cab seems like it would be cool.

garthplinko wrote:Would you be able to circle back w/ a mini-review? Friend of mine has an ms-50g and I'm super skeptical anything zoom does in the effects dept is worth a crap. The prices on the pedals in this series are jaw-dropping.I was going to post a mini review in the mini review thread once I've played with it more. So far, it's pretty impressive. Choruses all sound great, delays and reverb presets all seem fantastic too. Can make loads of end of the world type mbv walls of noise with it on a few of the presets, and none of this sounds like a 60 quid pedal. I was pretty shocked at how good it all sounds. Way better than the old zoom multi effects thing I had 15 years ago. Need to get into tweaking it more, and comparing their take on the small clone with the one I have, but so far it's been well worth buying.

VaticanShotglass wrote:Antero wrote:Yesterday I picked up a extremely clean Silvertone 1483 head, remarkable condition for something fifty five goddamn years old. Got it for an extremely reasonable price from a professional musician up in the hills who was culling his amp collection. I'm really excited - I love my 1484, I feel a strong personal connection to its whole vibe and its interaction with my weird guitar, and now I don't have to worry about it blowing up.That is cool. I always think of these but never had a chance to play one. I also get them mixed up. Is the 1483 the little bass one? How do they fare as an alternative to BF or SF Bandmasters and Bassmen? Putting the chassis of one of the little bass dudes in a 1x12 cab seems like it would be cool.They get compared to Bassman types but I think it's mostly because they're just supposed-to-be-for-bass-but-no-one-uses-them-for-that. The 1483 seems to be the same as the 1484 just without the tremolo and reverb, some people say they sound different but that might just be something with the output (8 ohms on the 1483, 4 on the 1484). They only kick out around 22-23 watts so a lot less than a Bassman, they were made with cheap-ass transformers. Once you get rid of the trash-ass particle board cab and hook them up to real speakers they sound pretty fucking great, kind of dark throaty raunchy when turned up but they can do a nice clean also. They're not everyone's cup of tea but I'm into it.
http://www.myspace.com/leopoldandloebchicago

Linus Van Pelt wrote:I subscribe to neither prong of your false dichotomy.

free meat wrote:I was going to post a mini review in the mini review thread once I've played with it more. So far, it's pretty impressive. Choruses all sound great, delays and reverb presets all seem fantastic too. Can make loads of end of the world type mbv walls of noise with it on a few of the presets, and none of this sounds like a 60 quid pedal. I was pretty shocked at how good it all sounds. Way better than the old zoom multi effects thing I had 15 years ago. Need to get into tweaking it more, and comparing their take on the small clone with the one I have, but so far it's been well worth buying.And you can stack them, right? Have delay and reverb and mod all running at the same time?My current Swiss Army choice, the M5, is a) one at a time, and b) the size of a Land Rover. It's also so flimsy, that I can feel its casing give a little when I pull it off its velcro, so looking for something smaller, poly-fx-tual and not made out of tinfoil.
yaledelay wrote:FUCK YOU APPLE PIE you are a old man...

Antero wrote:VaticanShotglass wrote:Antero wrote:Yesterday I picked up a extremely clean Silvertone 1483 head, remarkable condition for something fifty five goddamn years old. Got it for an extremely reasonable price from a professional musician up in the hills who was culling his amp collection. I'm really excited - I love my 1484, I feel a strong personal connection to its whole vibe and its interaction with my weird guitar, and now I don't have to worry about it blowing up.That is cool. I always think of these but never had a chance to play one. I also get them mixed up. Is the 1483 the little bass one? How do they fare as an alternative to BF or SF Bandmasters and Bassmen? Putting the chassis of one of the little bass dudes in a 1x12 cab seems like it would be cool.They get compared to Bassman types but I think it's mostly because they're just supposed-to-be-for-bass-but-no-one-uses-them-for-that. The 1483 seems to be the same as the 1484 just without the tremolo and reverb, some people say they sound different but that might just be something with the output (8 ohms on the 1483, 4 on the 1484). They only kick out around 22-23 watts so a lot less than a Bassman, they were made with cheap-ass transformers. Once you get rid of the trash-ass particle board cab and hook them up to real speakers they sound pretty fucking great, kind of dark throaty raunchy when turned up but they can do a nice clean also. They're not everyone's cup of tea but I'm into it.Nice to hear. I think I played on of the 12 watt combos but I couldn't turn it up loud. I've always had an interest in alternative american amps. It sounds like the 1483 is a righteous dude.

FWIW, I love the Silvertone 1483. The OT is the weak link, as I stated in another thread, I had to have the OT in mine replaced a few times over the last 15 years, the last time was with something my tech recommended, (from a Fender Deville perhaps?) and it has been perfectly reliable since then, about 8 years. It didn't change the character of the amp at all to my ears and it now has 4 and 8 Ohm outputs. My wife used the 1483 for lap steel for many years, it was always cranked all the way up and sounded gigantic despite its output rating. A huge, woolly, nicely saturated sound. Sometimes like the low notes on a rumbling piano. She used it with an odd Gibson Titan cabinet, trapezoidal in shape with a 15 and two 10s. I felt like that thing helped show the full potential of the 1483.

Needed a new bluetooth speaker for the kitchen, since the old Jambox has proven to be a pile of crap. Ordered one of those adorable Marshall Kilburn amps, which, after tons of research, are supposed to be super great. Dozens of glowing reviews all over the place. One nice thing is that the battery can be replaced, which was not an option for that gd jambox. Looking forward to this one not ending up in a landfill:
kerble is right.