Re: What are you buying, What's on its way?

I cracked and picked up a used DSM Humboldt Simplifier DLX. I was really intrigued with the new X pedal, but for a whole lot less, the DLX offers pretty much the same thing, minus some cab options and 3 extra amps. After playing with the Opus, I really like it, but it's hard to switch between amps without a midi controller, and the DLX offers pretty much the same kind of options as analog, complete with a separate channel switch pedal. The Opus still is great in the studio as a general utility pedal.

Going to look at a Yamaha YC30 combo organ today. I owned one for about a decade until I sold it to Kerble and have missed it ever since. It has a pitch ribbon like a CS70. Super fun. If you know Mates of State, they used teh dual manual version the YC45d. Pretty excited. Have nowhere to put it.
Was Japmn.

New OST project: https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/flight-ost
https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/numberwitch
https://boneandbell.com/site/music.html

four_oclocker_2.2 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:01 pm
cakes wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:06 pm I was looking for a light-weight 300w power amp and came across this solid state amp called Strait Ahead, made by a single guy in upstate NY. I chatted with him a bit and got some questions answered. Anyway, after a few months of back and forth and catching up on orders, I've got mine on the way. Looking forward to it!
This looks perfect for something I've been trying to work on. Sending an email to the dude today!
I don't know if you should do this. I just got mine and... I dunno, I am not impressed and I haven't really turned it on yet. I feel like I have to do some improvements to it first and probably find a better chassis.

cakes wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:46 pm
cakes wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:06 pm I was looking for a light-weight 300w power amp and came across this solid state amp called Strait Ahead, made by a single guy in upstate NY. I chatted with him a bit and got some questions answered. Anyway, after a few months of back and forth and catching up on orders, I've got mine on the way. Looking forward to it!
This looks perfect for something I've been trying to work on. Sending an email to the dude today!
I don't know if you should do this. I just got mine and... I dunno, I am not impressed and I haven't really turned it on yet. I feel like I have to do some improvements to it first and probably find a better chassis.
Interesting! I'll be curious to hear more. I did send an email a few days ago and he said it'd be a month or so for a build to come through, but let me know where you land after plugging it in.
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen

Current -
Future Living / Daddy's Boy / Blank Banker / Solo

Fomer -
Hungry Man / No Trust / Retreaters

four_oclocker_2.2 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:07 pm
cakes wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:46 pm

Interesting! I'll be curious to hear more. I did send an email a few days ago and he said it'd be a month or so for a build to come through, but let me know where you land after plugging it in.
I was talking with a friend of mine for help with it and I think we're going to rehouse it in a more appropriate enclosure and I might resolder the connections with ring terminals. I've been looking for an excuse to get a soldering iron anyway. First, I need to plug it in. I'm sure it works, but I'm curious of the actual power.

Garth wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:01 pm oh boy. Someone needs to tell that manufacturer they are putting the t-nuts in on the wrong damn side & ass-backwards. That's...just...egregious. Anyone who has replaced a speaker before on an older cabinet has probably had this happen on installation and pushed the t-nut out the back by putting too much pressure on the screwdriver/screw gun. It would not take that much for a nut to just fall right out the front after moving it - those teeth are not designed to hold anything but itself (and even then crappy t-nuts are just barely grabbing wood to stay in).

Plywood on that baffle looks thinner than probably should be too.

They're probably real proud of that box join/dovetail join though.
Isn’t that ok if the speaker gets installed from inside the cabinet? That way you can staple grill cloth right over the baffle board, slap some snakesking Torlex on it and bob’s your uncle
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com