Boomer shill or not?

Crap
Total votes: 17 (39%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 27 (61%)
Total votes: 44

Re: YouTube personality: Rick Beato

penningtron wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:52 am
Anthony Flack wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:52 pm Just learned Beato has a Gibson sig model. Play all your favourite Rick Beato tunes!
I blame Gibson for yet another boneheaded boomer move. I don't fault Beato for taking them up on it.
It’s really interesting how different of companies Fender and Gibson are now.

I get Fender newsletters and they have complete embraced mass customisation and seem to put out endless reissues and new products.

Gibson just seem sclerotic and badly run. I assume that’s way the went bust.

PS my main guitar for 25 years is an SG so I’m no Fender fanboy.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

Not into him but he did do an hour-long interview with Derek Trucks (truly a wonderful guitarist). It had about five minutes of Derek's guitar playing in it and was otherwise Trucks just geeking out over Coltrane, Sun Ra, John Gilmore, Elmore James, Col. Bruce Hampton etc. DT was totally charming and guileless and reminded me a lot of my friend Rob Bochnik, which is never a bad thing. The whole thing was nice and I liked it.

Over the past few months, I’ve listened to a handful of his interviews—with Butch Vig; with Kris Noveselic, Kim Thayil, and Jack Endino—and watched a couple regular “music these days, amirite?” episodes. I’ve enjoyed them a lot more than I’d expected to. It’s refreshing to hear people talk about mic placement, arrangement decisions, and the creative process and not about band drama, drugs, and personal beefs. I wish the Butch Vig interview had been twice as long (or exactly as long, but without the Smashing Pumpkins).

So I’ll vote not crap.

Having spent some time with Rick during my convalescence I’m voting Not Crap with waffles.

His tastes can be a little stuck in “quality MOR”. Which is fine, but it can miss the mark, like when he has a whole episode on Drop D and doesn’t mention Page Hamilton.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.