Re: Small questions that don't fit anywhere

I am trying to make up for years of laziness with regards to properly archiving old projects. I have a backup of a Pro Tools session for an album recorded about 20 years ago. All of the relevant files were spilt across 8 CD-Rs possibly using an application like Toast (if not actually Toast). Anyone have any idea how to recreate the original project and folder structure? I was told Toast has a “restore” functionality but given the age of the archive, the current version may not be applicable and also it costs some money. Anyone have any ideas? My eventual goal is to get stems that can be stored in some way so that years from now when the world just needs to hear some remixed sappy emo from long ago I will be at the ready.

Jon
Widespread Panic.

Wow, you can still buy Toast, looks like? Can you just get a copy and see if restore is backward compatible?

But even without that functionality, can you just drag the files from DVD onto a modern computer and run pro tools? That assumes your files are manually moved into the right folder hierarchy and also that Toast didn’t split up individual wav files.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com

I'm trying to record some stuff at home and am having problems.

PC - Windows (new PC, only purchased a few months ago)
Behringer XENYX802 Mixer
Behringer ACA202 Audio Interface

I'm using Audacity. I've got a mic plugged in to the mixer, and I'm barely getting anything when I record. I've turned the volume up and still, barely anything. Playback is very quiet as well, when I generate a rhythm track from the program.

I can hear myself and the mic just fine through my headphones, lights are blinking on the mixer.

I downloaded Ocenaudio and tried recording my voice, same result, barely anything. I've tried different mics as well.

I thought it might be the PC, but I've got the recording and playback set to USB Audio, and I can't think of anything else that may be causing the issue.

Now I'm thinking it might be the mixer, or the ACA202. I've had them both for several years.

Any suggestions on how to solve this? Could it be the mixer or the ACA202? If so, please recommend me one. Budget is $120.

Thanks.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

penningtron wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:22 pm You downloaded/installed the correct driver for the interface, correct? Also verify the I/O settings within Audacity (or whatever program you end up using): your PCs sound settings shouldn't matter within your recording software. It seems like the mixer is fine.
I downloaded ASIO4ALL from Behringer, thinking that might be the problem, but I'm still getting the same results.

Host - MME
Playback Device - Speakers (USB Audio Codec)
Recording Device - Microphone (USB Audio Codec)

zircona1 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:10 pm There’s no usb port on the back of the Xenyx802, just an AC power cord connector.

I’m using the usb cable on the UCA202 to plug in to the pc.
Ok.

Personally, this is what I would suggest. Reaper has a fully functional demo that is a totally free download.

Inside of Reaper, it is a fairly straightforward proposition to plug the UCA202 in and see if Reaper recognizes it or not.

If it doesn't, it's easy to narrow down where the issue is or attempt to contend with getting Reaper to recognize it.

numberthirty wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:25 pm
zircona1 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:10 pm There’s no usb port on the back of the Xenyx802, just an AC power cord connector.

I’m using the usb cable on the UCA202 to plug in to the pc.
Ok.

Personally, this is what I would suggest. Reaper has a fully functional demo that is a totally free download.

Inside of Reaper, it is a fairly straightforward proposition to plug the UCA202 in and see if Reaper recognizes it or not.

If it doesn't, it's easy to narrow down where the issue is or attempt to contend with getting Reaper to recognize it.
OK, I downloaded Reaper.

When I unplugged the interface, it said "we can't find an audio source", so I plugged it back in and hit 'Retry'.

And I guess it recognizes it, because at the top right hand corner it says [48kHz 24bit WAV.......WASAPI]