Best Food In Chicago

most of my favorites are on here, I thought I'd add a couple though:

tacos - El Asadero on Montrose, between Lincoln and Western. it's a hole in the wall but the skirt steak taco is fucking singular, I cannot think of a better way to spend $1.38. also get the guacamole as the chips are yesterday's tortillas, deep-fried. BYOB

Chinese - Lao Sze Schuan in the Chinatown mall thingy, across from the Walgreen's. also BYOB. I don't know what to say about it except just go, it's great.

weekend breakfast / lunch - El Tinajon, Guatemalan food on Roscoe. they have these beautiful lard-bomb Guatemalan tamales . . they're as big as a burrito and wrapped in banana leaf, all full of pork and olives. it's the kind of place where somebody's grandma is the cook, and they are just incredibly hospitable.

I think the barbecued pork banh mi at 888 it the best in town. not the funky dyed-red ham ones, gotta be the barbecued pork.

Best Food In Chicago

Marsupialized wrote:
If we are talking suburbs as well, I give overall best beef to Dukes Beef on Harlem in like, Burbank or whatever it is.
Ridiculous beef there, man. It's what Johnnies aspires to with their beef. Perfection.
Plus they have always had an 100% female staff, which is pretty cool.

Duke's is great. I made the drive back down there to purchase many lbs of beef for a party--so worth it. Like half the price of anywhere I found in the city that does catering beef by the lb. I also used the trip as an excuse to visit Chuck's, which is a must if you're eating in the south burbs.

Just discovered Bari's deli on grand a few weeks ago. Want a giant italian sub that might take you both halves of a basketball game to eat? Best sub I've found in the city so far.

Best Food In Chicago

All the good places have been mentioned. from Alinea, La Pasidita, Irazu, Arun's, Lao Sze Schuan, Lem's, Hot Doug's, Wishbone and Mr. Beef & Pizza to the great places on Devon and Argyle aves.

Not mentioned:

Avec/Blackbird - Yuppie places with always a long wait for damn good reason. Avec especially is fukkin grreat. Get there early for no wait - one of the best places in Chicago.

Just had some of the best Indian food I've had in years at Bombay Dreams at 75-77 Wyndham Street in Hong Kong. Absolutely amazing food. Devon ave should reel in envy.

Today is the Rugby 7's finals (equiv to the super bowl but in Rugby) and this is one nuts party town. This picture was taken at 11:00 PM 3/30/08 Sat night (10 AM Sat morning for you) here in HK at the Lan Kwai Fong district.

good times...

Best Food In Chicago

John George Peppers wrote:
Camaro wrote:
Just discovered Bari's deli on grand a few weeks ago. Want a giant italian sub that might take you both halves of a basketball game to eat? Best sub I've found in the city so far.

When I worked downtown we would order those all the time. They are, how shall I say, NOT CRAP.

I have to agree with this. When I worked in River North we would order these all the time.

Another good deli like Bari's is Fiore's on Oakley and Erie. I have had many a great sandwich from there plus they have a coupla two tree picnic tables you can use out back.
it's not the length, it's the gersch