Re: Small questions that don't fit anywhere

DaveA wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:58 pm Whatever the answer . . . If you end up getting a Decimator, get a Decimator II G String. It's better. You might need to consult a tutorial online to figure out how to route everything through it, but it's worth the effort. HTH.
Trying for a G String for like ~$100 second hand when one comes up so I can try the inline and multi cable option.

Had the Boss one a while back and it was pretty horrible. Possible user error, full disclosure...

Have had the Decimator II G String for a while, and it really comes in handy with recording, especially when using loud, high-gain dirt boxes. Guitar parts sound more professional and clean. As with any noise gate, it's best to have it gate/affect all of the dirt boxes but put modulation effects after, so that the reverb/chrous/flange tails, etc. ring out.

If/when you get it, just head to YouTube and do a search for how to route it, and you should be good to go. A bit of a learning curve, but it's a contraption worth getting and keeping.
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .

New Novel.

tallchris wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:44 pm Does anyone make a production Jazz bass with a P-Bass width neck?
I did some research on this a while back and there wasn't much out there. I've always thought the easiest route would be to get a Jazz-loaded body and a P-neck w/ tuners through someone like Strasophere and call it a day.

I still think a Geddy Lee signature body w/ an EGC bolt-on would be pretty slick.
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen

Current -
Future Living / Daddy's Boy / Blank Banker / Solo

Fomer -
Hungry Man / No Trust / Retreaters

four_oclocker_2.2 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:01 pm
tallchris wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:44 pm Does anyone make a production Jazz bass with a P-Bass width neck?
I did some research on this a while back and there wasn't much out there. I've always thought the easiest route would be to get a Jazz-loaded body and a P-neck w/ tuners through someone like Strasophere and call it a day.

I still think a Geddy Lee signature body w/ an EGC bolt-on would be pretty slick.
Guitarist in High Priors got one of those Jazz Basses with the double coil humbuckers and put an EGC neck on it and it sounds fucking amazing!

I’m almost tempted to just buy a Classic Vibe Jazz and Precision, swap the necks, and then sell the Jazz neck/P-Body combo.
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com

penningtron wrote: Is chrome plated cymbal stand metal (about 1/2" diameter hollow, "lightweight" stands) significantly harder to saw than, say.. EMT? Hoping someone here has pointers before I do something dumb.
As far as actual cutting I don't think it will be much more difficult other than the chrome surface will be harder to get a bite on if you're using a hand saw (hack saw). The main thing I would say is that the chrome will come off in extremely sharp little flakes/slivers and the cut end won't be as clean because the chrome will flake off irregularly and not at a neat edge. But you could potentially wrap that edge or cover it with a flange or something. And wrapping it in blue tape while cutting will help to minimize the edge mess.
Radio show https://www.wmse.org/program/the-tom-wa ... xperience/
My band https://redstuff.bandcamp.com/
Solo project https://tomwanderer.bandcamp.com/

Tom Wanderer wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:53 am As far as actual cutting I don't think it will be much more difficult other than the chrome surface will be harder to get a bite on if you're using a hand saw (hack saw). The main thing I would say is that the chrome will come off in extremely sharp little flakes/slivers and the cut end won't be as clean because the chrome will flake off irregularly and not at a neat edge. But you could potentially wrap that edge or cover it with a flange or something. And wrapping it in blue tape while cutting will help to minimize the edge mess.
Thanks! The cut edge will be tucked away in a mounting socket (it's a kick mounted cymbal stand) so it doesn't need to look perfect. I do have the tool for cleaning up sharp conduit edges as well, which may come in handy.
Music

twelvepoint wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:12 pm I’ve cut down drum stands. Hacksaw will cut it easy peasy
Nice!

I spoke a bit too soon though: this one is built a little different than I remember, and would not be as easy to cut as I described (I probably had the Gretsch assembly in mind). The better long term solution would be to get a boom stand, because this setup won't translate to any backline or studio kit anyway.
Music