The Gear Liquidation Thread

total\_douche wrote:"Nibs" are the little triangular pieces of binding at the edges of the frets on a Gibson. Back in the day, it was faster and cheaper to cut the frets to the width of the board, cover it all with binding, then route it all flush to the frets and file the nibs to a triangular shape. When a Gibson gets re-fretted, keeping the nibs is more trouble than it's worth, so they generally get shaved off. These days, most builders just have the frets go over the binding a little bit, but Gibson has that "tradition" problem. They tried fret-over-edge binding for a few years - I think between 2014 and like 2016 - and people lost their fucking minds and called it the worst thing to even happen to Gibson guitars.So, even though strings have a tendency to get caught between the fret and the nibs, Gibson people go apeshit if they're missing because "mojo." It's really no big deal, and I was just being a little cheeky in implying that anyone who'd pay extra if he said "mojo" would claim they need the nibs for "toan" and would try to haggle down. It's satire... but barely.God almighty Christ.

bdm wrote:total\_douche wrote:"Nibs" are the little triangular pieces of binding at the edges of the frets on a Gibson. Back in the day, it was faster and cheaper to cut the frets to the width of the board, cover it all with binding, then route it all flush to the frets and file the nibs to a triangular shape. When a Gibson gets re-fretted, keeping the nibs is more trouble than it's worth, so they generally get shaved off. These days, most builders just have the frets go over the binding a little bit, but Gibson has that "tradition" problem. They tried fret-over-edge binding for a few years - I think between 2014 and like 2016 - and people lost their fucking minds and called it the worst thing to even happen to Gibson guitars.So, even though strings have a tendency to get caught between the fret and the nibs, Gibson people go apeshit if they're missing because "mojo." It's really no big deal, and I was just being a little cheeky in implying that anyone who'd pay extra if he said "mojo" would claim they need the nibs for "toan" and would try to haggle down. It's satire... but barely.Every Gibson I own has been refretted. I always buy used guitars that are beaters and fix them up.I think this might be why I am not fond of ˜the nibs . Just never made any sense to me why they d make them like that."Nibless" sung to the tune of Neil Young's "Helpless"
**Do we need the other Chemical Bros. records??

Nibs are the little triangular pieces of binding at the edges of the frets on a Gibson. Back in the day, it was faster and cheaper to cut the frets to the width of the board, cover it all with binding, then route it all flush to the frets and file the nibs to a triangular shape. When a Gibson gets re-fretted, keeping the nibs is more trouble than it's worth, so they generally get shaved off. These days, most builders just have the frets go over the binding a little bit, but Gibson has that tradition problem. They tried fret-over-edge binding for a few years - I think between 2014 and like 2016 - and people lost their fucking minds and called it the worst thing to even happen to Gibson guitars.So, even though strings have a tendency to get caught between the fret and the nibs, Gibson people go apeshit if they're missing because mojo. It's really no big deal, and I was just being a little cheeky in implying that anyone who'd pay extra if he said mojo would claim they need the nibs for toan and would try to haggle down. It's satire... but barely.