Re: RIP v2 - still no cure for death

pldms wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:18 am
A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:22 pm Janice Long. One for the pop-crazed youngsters.
This hit me surprisingly hard. Just seemed such a happy presence in my childhood.

Indeed. I used to listen to her shows fairly frequently as a teen, and whilst she did also have a bit of a penchant for dodgy goth bands, she turned me onto Nick Cave, Julian Cope's solo stuff , Felt, Momus and a few others.

Plus, I have to give her credit for giving me my first exposure to the Fall, even if it was based on a misunderstanding. She played what I thought was "Oh! Brother" - their most recent release at the time - so I bought it the next weekend. Although I grew to like it after a few listens, my initial reaction was "What is this poppy shit? This isn't the song I heard on the Evening Session!".

Turned out I'd misheard the title, and that the track she'd played was actually "An Older Lover Etc.", as I discovered a year or so later after Buying "Slates".
I hate music, it's got too many notes.

Re: RIP v2 - still no cure for death

Chud Fusk wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:31 pm Betty White was great, but I can't see any real reason to mourn unless she's your grandma. Ninety fucking nine! That's something to celebrate.
Got to politely disagree in this particular instance.

In a world where older folks regularly have to deal with serious chronic health conditions, someone who is getting up there but has been lucky enough to side step them?

Life straight up stole perfectly good time from them.

While it is not totally unacceptable? It is absolutely bunk.