Re: A Few New Projects

Yes, indeed the receiver (I only call it that because other builder do) could essentially mount to a frying pan and the tone would be unaffected. The function of the body unit comes from the ergonomics it imparts, eliminating neck dive, spreading weight, eliminating sharp angles that don't fit the contours of actual humans, placement of controls. I actually think some stacked and carved baltic could look sharp. I'd want to do some chambering and such.

Weekly update. Lots of progress- Body has been routed to final shape, rounded over and have the recess for the receiver roughed-in. Next: finalize and route for pickups, maybe start on arm and belly cuts.

Headstock has been thinned and the angle has been milled, tapered the neck depth. Also got a start on weight relief of the neck and between the pickups. Next: attach tuner shims and start finalizing the shape.
Attachments
DSC06069.JPG
DSC06069.JPG (177.68 KiB) Viewed 452 times
DSC06068.JPG
DSC06068.JPG (174.68 KiB) Viewed 452 times
DSC06067.JPG
DSC06067.JPG (179.79 KiB) Viewed 452 times

Neck update: Great progress, got the final outlining done, laminated the spacers on the back of the headstock and finalized that shape. Got the back roughly profiled. Finished up the spacer for under the fretboard, Cut the fretboard to rough width. Next week should get the fretboard mounted and we can get to final shaping. Would also like to get the tuners drilled.

Let me know what you think of this headstock shape- I was trying to come up with something minimal and easy to machine.
Attachments
DSC06135.JPG
DSC06135.JPG (175.31 KiB) Viewed 382 times
DSC06134.JPG
DSC06134.JPG (176.4 KiB) Viewed 382 times
DSC06133.JPG
DSC06133.JPG (175.33 KiB) Viewed 382 times

Body update- Finalized all the routes and shaping. Control cavity, relief cuts, even control cavity cover. Only thing left is to make the string-thru cutout...which I need to drill the neck for 1st...so it'll be a bit.
Attachments
DSC06137.JPG
DSC06137.JPG (151 KiB) Viewed 382 times
DSC06136.JPG
DSC06136.JPG (173.69 KiB) Viewed 382 times

I really love that headstock design. It's unique. Now that there's been more than one game in town for a while as far as aluminum necked instruments go, the headstock cutout is a major focal point or even "statement", whether you like it or not. That elongated oval with the little semicircle notch out of the top is something I've never seen before and I love that it's simple while still having an aspect of thoughtful design behind it. Also a huge fan of that latest body. Am I correct in thinking that it's the most symmetrical yet? Really looks sharp. All of your aluminum builds so far have been beauties, and very inspirational, but I think the refinement on this one is really putting it on another level. The notch on the headstock coupled with the body construction harken back to an early aluminum Kramer too, which is cool. Great work, as always. And thank you for sharing.
Radio show https://www.wmse.org/program/the-tom-wa ... xperience/
My band https://redstuff.bandcamp.com/
Solo project https://tomwanderer.bandcamp.com/

Lots happened this week- but hard to document thoroughly. I got the fretboard epoxied on. Sanded out the neck to #180, which is all the hard work. Got the bridge location finalized, string-thru holes drilled, and used that to locate the pass-thru on the back of the body.

If all goes well, I should get the tuner, bridge, pickup and body mounting holes all drilled and tapped. I can also now get started on finishing the body. I'd like to get the neck sanded out to #2000 before I get started on the frets.
Attachments
DSC06181.JPG
DSC06181.JPG (144.59 KiB) Viewed 263 times
DSC06180.JPG
DSC06180.JPG (133.41 KiB) Viewed 263 times
DSC06179.JPG
DSC06179.JPG (135.2 KiB) Viewed 263 times

I asked 6 months ago but wanted to follow up if you have any plans to do an aluminum (or other metal?) fretboard at some point maybe? Or are you planning on staying 100% wood? I can certainly understand why since I would think there are ways to deal w/ wood if things go wonky, but I wonder if it that is part of the "clang" that most of associate w/ alumi-neck instruments.

Also dibs on "Alumineck" when I come up with my own line of headless aluminum basses.

Garth wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:23 am I asked 6 months ago but wanted to follow up if you have any plans to do an aluminum (or other metal?) fretboard at some point maybe? Or are you planning on staying 100% wood? I can certainly understand why since I would think there are ways to deal w/ wood if things go wonky, but I wonder if it that is part of the "clang" that most of associate w/ alumi-neck instruments.

Also dibs on "Alumineck" when I come up with my own line of headless aluminum basses.
I think there's certainly a component, but Travis Beans all had wood fretboards and those are plenty "clangy."

Having owned a fair amount of them over the years, I think the most important thing is probably the pickups and how they interact with the neck. Any aluminum neck w/ single coils is immediate "skkkkkkkrrrrrring", and that can be toned down/reigned in w/ humbuckers fairly well (if you want to do so.)
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen

Current -
Future Living / Daddy's Boy / Blank Banker / Solo

Fomer -
Hungry Man / No Trust / Retreaters