Re: Requiescat FM Steve

i still cannot believe it.

as many others mentioned before, steve was an integral part of not only my musical life.

when action park came out in 1994 it changed my life forever. i had never heard music like this before, bass player here in austria in the middle oft he 90s, around 25 years old.

music that went directly into my heart, something i could have never imagined before.

so i started to follow the band, joined the prf, asked questions and got replies even for the most stupid questions. and i have learned a lot lot on gear and recording and pasta with apples and onions. always hoping for a new record soon.

shellac changed my holiday plans from then on and their european tours lead me to places i would have never visited in my life. catania, where they have played with uzeda open air in a venue where the sound engineer was surrounded by huge cactus plants, hasselt in belgium together with the ex, istanbul together with soundgarden. a shellac show was always a good reason to book a hotel for a week in a place that never was on your holiday list.

a few years from 2003-2008 i have worked as a booker in a viennese venue called szene wien and after many attemps could convince their european agent carlos to have them play there on 5-7-07. i wore an acoustic amps t-shirt that day when steve went in he said „nice t-shirt! these amps made my guitar sound like a banjo.“ the show was great and all the guys super nice, much nicer as all the 700 bands that have played there in these 5 years. and they drank exactly 1! small beer all together that evening (and i’m sure it was eliot the sound engineer…).

besides shellac i consider „the problem with music“ as one oft he most important articles on cultural industries, not only music, ever written. and everything else steve had to say on this theme. steve’s opinions on fees and royalties, all his gear and recording, advice, so many other things, so many.

my deepest condolences to heather and the whole family, todd and bob, and all of you that knew him personally or anyone that cares. steve will leave a hole that cannot be filled anymore.

best wishes from austria
siegi

Hadn't posted on the forum in many years. Can't believe this is what brought me back, but here for the same reason as everybody else. The term "punch to the gut" doesn't seem like enough. So hard to swallow.

I live around the corner from the studio and decided to walk by last night and saw this. Wanted to share especially for those who aren't local.

Sending love into the ether...

R I P

Steve i loved your music ten times more than i loved this forum, and i loved this forum a lot.

i'm going to listen to Prince and ready poetry in your honour Dear Leader

edit: which video has him doing the bee joke in it, can someone post it? i cant find it and id like to hear it again

Oh my God, FM big dave! I really missed you, but this is not the way I wanted to be reunited.

onpinsandneedles wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:29 pm
I was wondering if a shrine was going to be erected anywhere, and while that is the perfect spot for it, for the sake of staff and family I hope it doesn’t get out of hand. Hilarious to see that somebody left a shittyflute there, I wonder who that was.

Edited for talk-to-text typos
Last edited by ChudFusk on Thu May 09, 2024 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Escape Rope / Black Mesa / Inflatable Sex Babies

ChudFusk wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:03 pm I was wondering if a shrine was going to be erected anywhere, and while that is the perfect spot for it, for the sake of staff and family I hope it doesn’t get out of hand. Hilarious to see that somebody left a shittyflute there, I wonder who that was.
Not really in a joke mood yet but $5 to anyone who leaves a copy of Can't Buy a Thrill on the door.

aaand LR72 just came on the turntable 😭
Last edited by penningtron on Thu May 09, 2024 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music

penningtron wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:25 pm
ChudFusk wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:03 pm I was wondering if a shrine was going to be arrested anywhere, and well, that is the perfect spot for it, for the sake of staff and family. I hope it doesn’t get out of hand. Hilarious to see that somebody left a shittyflute there, I wonder who that was.
Not really in a joke mood yet but $5 to anyone who leaves a copy of Can't Buy a Thrill on the door.

aaand LR72 just came on the turntable 😭
Ack, my typos…
Escape Rope / Black Mesa / Inflatable Sex Babies