Flipper?

Crap.
Total votes: 7 (7%)
Not crap.
Total votes: 92 (93%)
Total votes: 99

Band: Flipper Flipper?

SecondEdition wrote:All I know is that it was supposed to be called Flipper's Greatest Misses at some point, with album art depicting a dartboard surrounded by badly thrown syringes. Pure Flipper, really. (Edit: This was already mentioned earlier in the thread, derp.) I remember hearing that unreleased material once and thinking it wasn't quite as good as Generic or Gone Fishin', but still really worthwhile - and a lot closer to Gone Fishin' than Generic. Sort of like the wayward older brother of Gone Fishin'. The 11-minute track and the aptly named I Want To Talk are absolutely killer, though.Brilliant art concept. Typical.The bootleg I heard of this (which is just some stupid mp3s; discogs.com says there's a double CD, but I don't believe them) was not as good as Generic, but superior to Gone Fishin', I thought. Falconi mixed much higher, and no funky stuff. Sounded a lot like the Get Away 7.I believe the epic track that closed the set was entitled Kali, but I could be wrong...

SecondEdition wrote:If by funky stuff you mean First The Heart, I'd have to disagree with you on that assessment of Gone Fishin'.The 11-minute song is called either Vali or Kali, I've seen both.First the Heart is cool, but the version on the unreleased record is a bit more to my liking, as it contains much louder guitar and no horns. I suppose I'm of the opinion that Gone Fishin' needs more guitars. Plus there's a slightly rubbery, almost dance feel to parts of it that I don't really appreciate, some tunes even utilize those stiff, Joy Division-like beats. It's like a great Flipper record but w/almost UK new-wave production or something. (That said, I totally get why some people gush for it, and I can still enjoy it.)I think Vali was just the bootlegger's mishearing of the title. Seems to be about kali, the Hindu death goddess, as opposed to valium or doo-wop bands.

OrthodoxEaster wrote:Supposedly, there is an LP in the works of the "lost" (though oft-bootlegged) studio material recorded btw. Generic and Gone Fishin'. The Flipper website alluded to its release in 2012, but the year came and went. Anyone have idea what's up w/this project?All I know is that it was supposed to be called Flipper's Greatest Misses at some point, with album art depicting a dartboard surrounded by badly thrown syringes. Pure Flipper, really. (Edit: This was already mentioned earlier in the thread, derp.) I remember hearing that unreleased material once and thinking it wasn't quite as good as Generic or Gone Fishin', but still really worthwhile - and a lot closer to Gone Fishin' than Generic. Sort of like the wayward older brother of Gone Fishin'. The 11-minute track and the aptly named "I Want To Talk" are absolutely killer, though.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

Groucho Marx wrote:Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

OrthodoxEaster wrote:SecondEdition wrote:All I know is that it was supposed to be called Flipper's Greatest Misses at some point, with album art depicting a dartboard surrounded by badly thrown syringes. Pure Flipper, really. (Edit: This was already mentioned earlier in the thread, derp.) I remember hearing that unreleased material once and thinking it wasn't quite as good as Generic or Gone Fishin', but still really worthwhile - and a lot closer to Gone Fishin' than Generic. Sort of like the wayward older brother of Gone Fishin'. The 11-minute track and the aptly named "I Want To Talk" are absolutely killer, though.Brilliant art concept. Typical.The bootleg I heard of this (which is just some stupid mp3s; discogs.com says there's a double CD, but I don't believe them) was not as good as Generic, but superior to Gone Fishin', I thought. Falconi mixed much higher, and no funky stuff. Sounded a lot like the "Get Away" 7".I believe the epic track that closed the set was entitled "Kali," but I could be wrong...If by "funky stuff" you mean "First The Heart," I'd have to disagree with you on that assessment of Gone Fishin'.The 11-minute song is called either "Vali" or "Kali," I've seen both.

Groucho Marx wrote:Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

SecondEdition wrote:honeyisfunny wrote:The Target video on You Tube where they're opening for Throbbing Gristle is one of the most bizarre gig films I've ever seen. Shatter decapitates his bass about halfway through and Falconi cracks up laughing before, about 5 mins later after Genesis P-Orridge has shuffled on and strapped a bass onto Bruce Loose with a strap set up for a midget, having some sort of psychotic episode and smashing his guitar to bits. It's some next-level "bummer gig" stuff.That show is totally fucking incredible. The sound is so distorted after a while that it almost sounds like power electronics with a beat and rock instruments.Yeah, that's my favourite footage of the band. The crowd look so constantly aghast.
http://www.myspace.com/sheripped

The Target video on You Tube where they're opening for Throbbing Gristle is one of the most bizarre gig films I've ever seen. Shatter decapitates his bass about halfway through and Falconi cracks up laughing before, about 5 mins later after Genesis P-Orridge has shuffled on and strapped a bass onto Bruce Loose with a strap set up for a midget, having some sort of psychotic episode and smashing his guitar to bits. It's some next-level "bummer gig" stuff.
Rick Reuben wrote:We're all sensitive people
With so much love to give, understand me sugar
Since we got to be... Lets say, I love you

honeyisfunny wrote:The Target video on You Tube where they're opening for Throbbing Gristle is one of the most bizarre gig films I've ever seen. Shatter decapitates his bass about halfway through and Falconi cracks up laughing before, about 5 mins later after Genesis P-Orridge has shuffled on and strapped a bass onto Bruce Loose with a strap set up for a midget, having some sort of psychotic episode and smashing his guitar to bits. It's some next-level "bummer gig" stuff.That show is totally fucking incredible. The sound is so distorted after a while that it almost sounds like power electronics with a beat and rock instruments.

That footage also shows you one hell of a set list. Not one I've seen on many bootlegs or old show notes/reviews. As Mark Prindle noted, one of the only breaks you get out of its intensity is the breakdown of laughter you see on Ted Falconi's face when the head of Bruce's bass snaps clean off. The fact that Steve DePace's parents were there watching it all happen is awesome too. I think it states that on the DVD that they loved what they saw.