Underrated Guitarists....

zom-zom wrote:
"Swirl" and "Elastic" have no place in rock music.

Pity no one told these guys:

Personally I like that spongy sound that everyone is getting out of their TBs. Especially when it's a little floaty.

Ooh, and angular. That's good too...

...and obtuse.

....vibrant.

ballsy.

Add your favourite adjective for a sound at your own discretion.

snivlem wrote:
honeyisfunny wrote:
dash-x wrote:no one mentioned mick turner yet? i'm suprised!

dylan carson is my other tip, hex is some of the most incredible guitar playing i have heard in ages.

Agreed to both.

I love Earth and Dylan Carlson. I'm a huge fan and just saw them play again a couple of weeks ago and loved it, but is he really an amazing guitar player in any sort of technical sense? I like his music a lot but at the same time it's soo simple and repetitive that I just can't call him a guitar genius. I listen to a lot more Earth than Led Zeppelin but to say that Jimmy Page sucks as a guitar player (based on a comment from a different post...) and Dylan Carlson is underrated just doesn't make sense. I'm just strictly speaking from "guitar playing ability" and not what someone prefers in terms of the music they like.

i do understand the point you make, but surely a guitarist is not purely just about their technique, but how they approach their instrument for a compositional tool. on those grounds i consider dylan carson to be massively underrated. the doom drone fraternity probably doesn't underrate him though!

so you saw earth play recently? did they play any new tunes? i cannot tell you how excited i am to hear their new material. best title for an album as well "the bee made honey in the lion's skull" !!!!!

space junk wrote:There are two who, while not underrated in the real world out there, I feel are undervalued among my peers, and they are Ritchie Blackmore and Joe Walsh. I like both of these guys' playing.

Also, no-one mentioned Waddy Wachtel yet?

I had some old dude tell me in a bar I played like Walsh. I guess it's my willingness to do anything to fill up a solo, however classless. I took it as a compliment.

I thought of another guitar player - Kramer. Some of his stuff on those Bongwater records always make me sit up and take notice. Even just the way he plays simple riffs, like "Talent Is A Vampire". Part of this admiration is production and tone.

I hate to say it, but the early James Gang stuff has an intensity to it I can't help but respect. Did anyone here ever see that old film 'Zachariah: The First Electric Western'? It features a clip of the James Gang absolutely tearing it up...drums/bass/guitar, instrumental, absolutely rocking for, like, 30 seconds. Lucite guitar.

If you pretend like Mr. Walsh died when the James Gang folded, I'd back up his inclusion here.

Big Bill Broonzy. there's a record of just him and his guitar from the 40s, and he's recovering from TB so he has these nasty wet coughs in between songs where he probably has to stuff the lung back inside afterward. anyway he sings and plays fingerstyle on it . . . real steady thumping rhythm with his thumb and strong melody with the fingers.

Pops Staples. There's early 60s stuff where he plays electric guitar with heavy reverb and tremolo. On a lot of the tracks that's the only backing to the singing, though on some they have drums and bass. Anyway it's a really full sound, yet very murky and mysterious.

Gary Numan. I'm serious . . . on the first Tubeway Army record he plays mostly guitar and he kicks ass. It's like new wave ZZ Top (though I guess 'Eliminator' was as well). I would be interested in knowing how he got the guitar sound on this record.