Favorite Neil Young Album

Just noticed this thread.

Here are my Top 5 Neil Young Records. (I feel like those guys in High Fidelity. Jeez-os.)

This has taken a lot of consideration: even though I knew what my Top 5 Neil records were in about a minute, I had serious trouble ranking them. It's all possibly subject to change. The first three are almost interchangeably great for me in different ways. (I am not one of the people who reverence Tonight's The Night unquestionably above everything else he did, though it is one of the three best albums he's made.)

1 - On The Beach
2 - Tonight's The Night
3 - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
4 - Rust Never Sleeps
5 - After The Gold Rush

I have always felt that, with the obvious and towering exception of "Cortez The Killer," Zuma is pretty overrated.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

Groucho Marx wrote:Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

SecondEdition wrote:I have always felt that, with the obvious and towering exception of "Cortez The Killer," Zuma is pretty overrated.

No! Try this album again and again. I thought it was overrated at first...now it's a favorite Neil album.

Here's mine:

1) Tonight's the Night
2) On the Beach
3) Zuma
4) Rust Never Sleeps
5) Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

The five spot kinda rotates.
kerble wrote:Ernest Goes to Jail In Your Ass

Minotaur029 wrote:
SecondEdition wrote:I have always felt that, with the obvious and towering exception of "Cortez The Killer," Zuma is pretty overrated.

No! Try this album again and again. I thought it was overrated at first...now it's a favorite Neil album.

Here's mine:

1) Tonight's the Night
2) On the Beach
3) Zuma
4) Rust Never Sleeps
5) Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

The five spot kinda rotates.

Ehhh...well, okay, but it's not in my immediate priority list. I don't even think "Danger Bird" is that good, and "Through My Sails" and "Stupid Girl" really don't cut the mustard. "Drive Back" is fucking great, though.

(Actually, dammit...now I want to listen to "Danger Bird," because I can't remember how the damn song goes, at all, at this moment. This definitely makes me look a bit like a chumpington.)
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

Groucho Marx wrote:Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.