Radiohead To Self-Release New Album

i love everything about this.

and i just got this email from their publicist:

There will be no advances, promotional copies, digital streams, media sites, etc. of RADIOHEAD's In Rainbows.

Everyone in the world will be getting the music at the same time: Oct. 10. That includes us. We don't have anything to play anyone in the nine days until the record is available. Everyone at nasty has put his or her order in and just to clarify: you are not being asked to pay for a promo (as some have inquired). you can pay nothing or as much or as little as you want.

There will be no promotional copies of the discbox either, as each discbox is being made to order. Sorry.
Christopher J. McGarvey wrote:I remember getting kicked out of class in the 3rd grade because I couldn't stop giggling while our teacher lectured us about homeless people.

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:
Minotaur029 wrote:I'd like to see Radiohead strip their sound down to a drier T&G type sound

Are you high or something?

Where else is there for them to go? Thom Yorke released a solo record a couple years ago that was super "computery"...if they want to do evolve and grow once again, they can't keep making Amnesiac and Kid A, right? If they plan on having a really long career, a dramatically stripped back sound would be a way for them to remain pertinent. Make a band record instead of an enormous record full of bells, whistles, and entire brass sections, Radiohead! That might be cool!

In 1967, Bob Dylan supposedly released the first "roots" record...it's a cliché (the "roots" record), but in Radiohead's case, it'd be fucking unexpected and incredible to behold. It'd be interesting to see what they would do if they went back to a more Bends type sound...seeing as now they are far more mature (i.e., drained of youthful bombast/piss/vinegar) and masterful than they were during that period ("mature" is really the key word here, not "masterful").

If I was high all the time (like I was when I joined the board through about March or April), I would be far more careful not to frequently piss people off on the board. I have not been smoking very much marijuana as of late (though certain board members can call me on this [except for one sleepy dude]).

The Minotaur wrote:...pissing people off blah blah blah

Which reminds me...lick my balls you inconsiderate little douche nozzle. I've noticed that you only seem to have a bunch of spiteful shit to say all the time...there was one particular instance on the Sendspace thread that pissed me off royally. I only just now got around to letting you know.

With love,
Dave Grohl
kerble wrote:Ernest Goes to Jail In Your Ass

katie, a princess wrote:i love everything about this.

Me too. Well, i'm not too sure about the title yet, and I wish the discbox was posted out on the same day as the download (so that I wouldn't have to fuck around downloading it, something I still don't know how to do), but apart from that then yes, I love everything about this.

If you're a big Radiohead fan like I am, and have spent the last three years waiting for this album to be released, to be suddenly told that you can hear it in just ten days is very exciting indeed. The decision to self-release the album was hardly a big surprise however-they released a DVD themselves a few years back.

I seem to remember a quote from Steve (I think?) saying that the real measure of success is having enough control over your work to be able to do whatever you want with it. This seems to me to be a very good example.