" Dance" music that is actually good

johnnyshape wrote:
newberry wrote: Is there a "Dance" section at record stores?

There often is in the UK.

The 'dance' branch of the Record & Tape Exchange (huge, frustrating complex of 2nd hand shops in Notting Hell) used to have dividers for all sorts of genres that I have never seen or heard of anywhere else. 'Ladbroke Groove' was a good one.

Which bands are in the dance section?

rayj wrote:Jesus christ...use a couple of terms casually, and out march the Semantics Police.

Go ahead, recommend Khanate to an average Metalhead. It's Metal, right?

I guess my point is the name is flawed. The entire genre-naming of Electronic music as "Dance" music is flawed. Sure, there's music there you can "Dance" to, but it's not granular enough to really give me any information that is helpful.

I could dance to the Melvins Ozma or to Autechre's Sim Gishel, but I'd look a fool.

mr.arrison wrote:
rayj wrote:Jesus christ...use a couple of terms casually, and out march the Semantics Police.

Go ahead, recommend Khanate to an average Metalhead. It's Metal, right?

I guess my point is the name is flawed. The entire genre-naming of Electronic music as "Dance" music is flawed. Sure, there's music there you can "Dance" to, but it's not granular enough to really give me any information that is helpful.

I could dance to the Melvins Ozma or to Autechre's Sim Gishel, but I'd look a fool.

True. However, I was running on the assumption that we all knew that, as the person who started this thread immediately cited Aphex Twin, and mentioned that he wasn't your prototypical discotheque patron. The time and place to worry about semantics is when your focus actually requires clarification. Or, barring that, if you are adding to the scope of the thread. Right?

caix wrote:I was just thinking of this dude earlier this morning: Arthur Russell

Good call. Check out Loose Joint's "Is It All Over My Face" for true house music. NOT CRAP

The Skatt Bros.' "Walk The Night" is an anthem that doesn't get much notice out of the disco underground. Dark, creepy, and funky.

Anne Clark's "Our Darkness" is another fave.

For great organic funky r&b/soul, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes' "The Love I Lost, and "Bad Luck" are incredible.

Cameo's "I Just Want to Be" is super heavy on the funk.

Carl Carlton's "She's a Bad Mama Jama" is pure 70's fun, energy, good-vibes, and a floor shaker.

Shalimar's "The Second Time Around" is lite, but fun and anthemic. So good.

I danced my ass off the first time I heard Big Black's "Kerosene." I did!

Someone mentioned Pylon. I agree. "Crazy"

Christian Death's "Romeo's Distress" is crazy.

The remix, or the original of Kraftwerk's "It's More Fun to Compute" is fab.

Six Finger Satellite's "Rabies (Baby's Got The)" is spazzy fun.

Essential Logic's "Aerosol Burns" is kinetic, jagged, and bumpin'.

The Flaming Lips' "God Walks Among Us Now" is noisy, bass-heavy, chaotic madness.

COWS doing "Heave Ho" breaks my back.

Psychic TV's "Godstar" is another fave.

I can go on and on.

All this Autechre/Aphex Twin bullshit is just that. Bullshit.

Okay, dance tracks that I currently dig:

Jingo - Candido

You + Me = Love - Undisputed Truth

Every Party All Night Long - The Chairmen of the Board

Live it Up - The Isley Brothers

Unhooked Generation- Freda Payne

Stop and Go - Bohannon

Ike Turner's A Black Man's Soul

The Kashmere Stage Band

Charles Wright & The Watts 103rd St Rhythm Band

Obeah Man - Exuma

All This Love I'm Giving - Gwen McCrae

You Dropped the Bomb on Me - The Gap Band

White Horse - Laid Back

Warm Leatherette - The Normal

This is all music that really makes me dance!