How to Prosper in the Coming Hard Times

John George Peppers wrote:That train has already left the station...the time for investing in foreign currency itself has passed. The rates of conversion(back and forth) will take away any profits you might see.

Yeah, I was figuring the conversion rates would screw stuff. Good point about not screwing our economy further too.
Boombats wrote:Any pair of assholes can put their cock and cunt together and make a wee little shit.

It makes little sense to buy gold right now as it is at historically high prices. If you have a 401(k) and you don't plan on retiring for another 20 years or so, leave your money there. No sense pulling out when the stock values are dropping. This is just a bad cycle that will eventually reverse itself. We've lived through these things before in the 70s and 80s. Granted there is a lot of fucked up stuff going on with the economy and some long-needed regulation, but you generally don't want to invest in anything you have to pay historically high prices for and you don't want to sell when you are down. If you have a fixed-rate mortgage and are able to meet the payments, ride it out. Buying guitars may be nice. But if we are truly going to be in an economic apocalypse -- which I doubt very much -- who will be able to afford the guitar when you want to sell? Besides, the government's gonna bail us all out when things get really fucked up, right?
meh

Yngwie Einstein wrote:Buying guitars may be nice. But if we are truly going to be in an economic apocalypse -- which I doubt very much -- who will be able to afford the guitar when you want to sell?

Rich collector-type old white guys and asian guys who have millions of dollars? If it's really, really fucked up economically, nothing will be worth anything though. Every guy on the planet with a vintage Marshall and less than enough money will be selling it, and with everybody looking to convert their vintage Marshalls to cash at the same time, there'll be insufficient demand for the massive supply, and they'll be going for whatever peanuts the most desperate guys are willing to take.

But they have a function. And one thing I can tell you for damn sure is that when things get politically/economically fucked up, like severely, *that* is the day people stop talking about how all the new music sucks. That sort of hardship is exactly what makes for badass new music. So maybe I'll just donate amps to afterschool programs and take the tax writeoff.
"The bastards have landed"

www.myspace.com/thechromerobes - now has a couple songs from the new album

I have two words for you: INDUSTRIAL METAL

Over the past few months I have been buying up all the old Ministry, Skinny Puppy and KMFDM LPs I can get my hands on. These things are gonna to fund my retirement.

Seriously, the metals market has been climbing steadily of late and with many developing nations still experiencing a tech boom, the high demands for copper, nickel, zinc and gold seem likely to continue for awhile. Silver probably wouldn't be a bad bet either. Metals also tend to be much more stable than currencies or other commodities.
Last edited by Colonel Panic_Archive on Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm pretty used to making it on a shoestring (unemployment pays $408 a week and I lived on it for almost three years) so as far as spending goes not much will change.

I work a lot, and I expect to work a lot more.

Whatever I have invested in, I'm just going to let it ride and not worry about it.

My heirs will get rich off my vast legacy of photographic work (um, no)
I make music/I also make pretty pictures

I've got one word to say to you.
Are you listening?
Pallets.

With lumber prices climbing, Chicago is sitting at a crossroads between crime and commerce.
Experts say the spiraling price of lumber has made pallets valuable enough to steal, a sharp contrast to just a few years ago when companies let them pile up in factory yards. By some estimates, nowhere in the country sees more of these timber thefts than the distribution hub that is greater Chicago.

“I would imagine it's more frequent and unreported than it should be,” said investigator Patrick Staples of the Northern Illinois Auto Theft Task Force, which last year arrested a man for swiping a trailer full of pallets worth about $2,300. “But if guys do this twice a month, they're making a good living and not getting caught.”

Bruce Scholnick, president of the National Wooden Pallet and Container Association, said the cost of wood went up as sawmills became more efficient. They were able to use more of each log for furniture or building material, leaving fewer lower-grade scraps that are turned into skids. That caused the price of wooden pallets to rise to about $5 apiece -- and criminals took notice.

“I live in the city, and you see people push them down the street in shopping carts. Five, six, seven, 10 years ago, you would see them in the garbage.”

ERawk wrote:
slincire wrote:
ERawk wrote:Learning how to garden and grow a few things.

This, aside from the hipster aspect, seems pretty interesting on that end.

Not surprised they settled in Tivoli. It's right next to Bard College so they can still see P-Fork's flavor of the month without traveling far.

I've always joked about how I could live in two places; either with everyone or without everyone and no in-between.

Tivoli is 15 minutes from my house.

I think I have to go stomp on a couple of windpipes right now.
www.myspace.com/pissedplanet
www.myspace.com/hookerdraggerlives

This article makes a persuasive case that the next bubble will be centered around alternative energy: companies that make energy-efficient products, along with viable alternatives to oil, including wind, solar, and geothermal power, along with the use of nuclear energy to produce sustainable oil substitutes, such as liquefied hydrogen from water.

If you get in early and out at the right time I'd imagine there's a lot of money to be made here.