fender twin: crunch question

steve wrote:You can also try the Ice Cube mod, which uses the reverb circuit driver as an overdrive. A crude version of it is to just jump the reverb send and return jacks with an RCA cable, and then you can use the reverb knob to adjust the gain of the overdrive and switch it in with the reverb footswitch.

My friend Neil has one of these on his silverface Twin and it's really effective. It sounds less like a natural crunch effect and more like a 'zingy' kind of EQ boost.
Rick Reuben wrote:We're all sensitive people
With so much love to give, understand me sugar
Since we got to be... Lets say, I love you

Power tube pulling worked well for me.

Also, if you only use the second channel you can pull the first preamp tube out of the V1 position, giving more gain to the second channel. I didn't like the sound of it much. You could also try swapping the phase inverter (last tube) with a 12AX7, say from the V1 position that isn't being used. Although it can sound a bit buzzy.

Getting abit of speaker breakup from some celestions also helps with the crunch.
All worth a try.

Power tube pulling worked well for me.

Also, if you only use the second channel you can pull the first preamp tube out of the V1 position, giving more gain to the second channel. I didn't like the sound of it much. You could also try swapping the phase inverter (last tube) with a 12AX7, say from the V1 position that isn't being used. Although it can sound a bit buzzy.

Getting abit of speaker breakup from some celestions also helps with the crunch.
All worth a try.

honeyisfunny wrote:
steve wrote:You can also try the Ice Cube mod, which uses the reverb circuit driver as an overdrive. A crude version of it is to just jump the reverb send and return jacks with an RCA cable, and then you can use the reverb knob to adjust the gain of the overdrive and switch it in with the reverb footswitch.

My friend Neil has one of these on his silverface Twin and it's really effective. It sounds less like a natural crunch effect and more like a 'zingy' kind of EQ boost.

Weird. I know for a fact that Ted Falconi used one of these, so maybe the reason he sounds that way on the old Flipper records was because the Twin Reverb was just that fucked up...
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

Groucho Marx wrote:Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.