Two Bands Enter...One Band Leaves

Earth Wind & Fire
Total votes: 4 (50%)
Kool & The Gang
Total votes: 4 (50%)
Total votes: 8

Thunderdome: Earth Wind & Fire Vs. Kool & The Gang

Gun to head, I take this as the worst cover of all-time.

It's one of the worst things ever. Not just in music. Ever.

The "got to get you into my life, into my life" intro. The horrendous Manhattan Transfer harmonies. The yacht jazz-like groove. The heinous John McLaughlin-tone guitar. Fuck this song in the throat.

Confidential to (Patrick) Randall (Mc)Murphy: "Yes We Can" is a fucking monster of a song.

I'm gonna go Kool and the Gang only because our band toured with Wyzard and Dion from Mother's Finest and they would play Jungle Boogie right before they took the stage. That song has fond memories for me now. They were great guys and top drawer musicians. Wyzard is an insane bass player and Dion was a great drummer and good ping pong player. We did sixteen dates or so with them and at every show Wyzard would say, "where's all the people?" He wasn't used to playing dives to scattershot crowds.

When I was in seventh grade or so, Celebration was the big hit, they played it at the county fair and I thought it was great. This was in the days that I would listen to Casey Kasem's top 40. Soon afterwards I would see Rock and Roll High School for the first time. Ah, the Ramones... no more top 40 after that.

The EWF singer is super amazing but the music never really did too much. I remember George Clinton saying something to the effect that they were, "Earth, hot air and no fire."

It's really a toss up but I'll go with Jungle Boogie for the MF guys.

Wyzard in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SEmPYRl ... re=related

Dr. O' Nothing wrote:

...is a motherfucking jam. I disagree about the rest of EWF not being so great. Hell, I even like "Got to Get You Into My Life"...

Tree wrote:...worst thing ever...

Maybe, but watching my daughter spin around like a dervish and air-trumpet to this song is one of the best things ever.

Going with Maurice.
Robert Anton Wilson wrote:The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental

Tree wrote:

Gun to head, I take this as the worst cover of all-time.

It's one of the worst things ever. Not just in music. Ever.

The "got to get you into my life, into my life" intro. The horrendous Manhattan Transfer harmonies. The yacht jazz-like groove. The heinous John McLaughlin-tone guitar. Fuck this song in the throat.

Confidential to (Patrick) Randall (Mc)Murphy: "Yes We Can" is a fucking monster of a song.

This is such an overstatement. I mean, it's cheesy but it's not "the worst thing ever," by any means.

I don't even like the original all that much though. Although it's better than a lot of other horrible Beatles songs like "Oblah-Di Oblah-Da" or however you spell it, and "The Long and Winding Road."