Simple Simple Recipes for FM NewDarkAge to Learn Cooking on

This recipe has maybe the biggest bang-buck ratio of easiness to wow-factor of any recipe I know.The DUTCH BABY!!!You need3 eggs1/2 cup flour1/2 cup milk1 tablespoon buttera blendera pan that can go from the stove to the over (cast-irons work well but are not needed)Other things can be added, but basically that is all you need.preheat oven to 400.put 3 eggs in the blender, dump in the flour and the milk (some people use room temp milk) I normally add a pinch of cinnamon and sugar but you do not have to. Blend it until it is super thin (about 5 min) batter.Add butter to warm pan, let brown. Once the butter starts to brown add batter to the pan, and put it in the pre-heated oven for about 20 min.It will expand and get nice and golden brown, if you like your dutch baby a little more crispy lower the temp on the oven to 325 and give it a extra 5-10 min. Take your baby out of the oven brush will melted butter, powdered sugar and a squeeze of lemon if you are a traditionalist. If not get creative, drizzle with honey, smear with goat cheese, add some jam ect.The recipe is easy to re-configure and hard to mess up... and has a wow factor.
Ty Webb wrote:
You need to stop pretending that this is some kind of philosophical choice not to procreate and just admit you don't wear pants to the dentist.

Seby wrote:3 tins of chic peas This iz what Nile Rodgers has for his dinner.Seby wrote:(not fresh ones unless you have a lot of time on your hands - look up how to deal with them. "Just soaking" is lies. You will need a pressure cooker)Not sure that this is the truth. Do you mean dried CPs? And how were chic peas prepared before the invention of the the pressure cooker?Soak overnight, boil hard 20 mins, simmer 80 mins is what the packet said last time I checked. I am not a Certified CP Master and I'll bet this is not the optimum method of dealing with the little buggers, but it provides such a perfectly adequate result that I have not been tempted to explore the matter further.

Vegan curries! Look at what we made on Sunday : ) Here are the recipes ¦.You can use a garam masala out of a packet, but that is very boring. Grinding your own is more fun, as you can then experiment with different versions. For this, you will need a large mortar and pestle, but you will need one for some of the recipes below anyway. So get a mortar and pestle. Here is a garam masala recipe to get you started. Garam Masala: Grind together 4 parts black pepper corns, , 4 parts coriander seed, 3 parts green cardamoms, 3 parts fennel seed, 1 part cloves, and 1 part cinnamon. Some handy hints - Stuff like pepper, salt, chilli, and lemon juice is really to taste. Lemons in particular can taste very differently depending on the variety and time of year. Maybe taste lemons before you use them and after a while you will get the nag of knowing how much lemon juice you will need in a particular dish. But really, you need to taste as you go. Actually, all of the spice amounts below are to taste, but they are a good start. Masur dal:3 cups of red lentils3 teaspoons cumin seeds3 teaspoons cayenne pepper3 teaspoons turmeric powderSalt (to taste)18 cloves4 inches cinnamon, broken12 green cardamoms3 cups grated coconut12 black pepper corns12 cloves garlicOlive oil4 onionsWash the lentils until the water runs clear. Boil with enough water to cover completely and then some. Grind all of the ingredients except the onions, salt, and olive oil. Heat olive oil and fry onions until golden brown. Add the ground up paste (a super masala paste, basically), and fry for several minutes. Add to the lentils and stir in just as the lentils are cooked. You might need to adjust the water level as you go as the lentils will absorb a lot! This will thicken up in the fridge so you will probably want to add water if/when you reheat. Mushrooms and Spinach:Tonnes of spinach. Like 500g of leaves at leastOne big bag of mushrooms. Tiny brown ones work well, and look adorable. 1 bunch coriander, leaves chopped finely, with roots separated Salt to taste2 teaspoons turmeric powder2 teaspoons paprikaGreen chillies to taste (chopped)Olive oil2 onions3 teaspoons mustard seeds1.5 teaspoons cumin seeds3 teaspoons garam masalaChop up all of the spinach. This is shit and takes forever. Use something electric to help you. We slice it roughly, put it in the pot with a little bit of water, then go at it with a hand/stick blender until it is purified. Whatever works. Now boil the spinach with the turmeric, salt, paprika, and chillis. Boil for ages. Like an hour at least. The spinach will go from light green to a much darker colour. You want to use a very small amount of water as spinach is mainly water and it will release a lot of its own. If you fuck this part up and add too much water, then just press the spinach down and skim the water off the top. You will do better next time. As the spinach is boiling, fry the onions in the oil with the mustard seeds and cumin seeds until golden brown. Whilst they are frying, grind the coriander roots up with the garam masala. Add this to the onions and seeds after the onions have turned golden brown. Fry for several minutes, until the masala paste has blended in completely. Add the fried mixture to the spinach (but only after the spinach is boiled completely, see above). Taste the spinach and adjust for salt and whatnot. When it is right, add the mushrooms. Since the spinach mixture is thack/dryish, you will need to push the mushrooms down into it. Now cover with a lid and leave on a low heat for an hour or so, or until the mushrooms are cooked through. Stir occasionally to make sure that nothing is sticking to the bottom of the pot. When the mushrooms are cooked through, add the chopped coriander leaves and stir through. Leave cooking for another five minutes or so, then you are done.Chick Peas (Channa Masala):3 tins of chic peas (not dried ones unless you have a lot of time on your hands - look up how to deal with them. "Just soaking" is lies. You will need a pressure cooker)SaltGreen chillis to taste (chopped)2 inches ginger (sliced finely)6 green cardamoms18 black peppercorns3 inches cinnamon, broken18 clovesOlive oil12 cloves garlic2 teaspoons paprika or chilli powder3 teaspoons turmeric powder2 teaspoons cumin powder6 teaspoons coriander powderbunch of chopped coriander leaves3 teaspoons garam masalaHalf cup lemon juiceWash and strain chic peas, boil with salt, half the onion, green chillis, cardamoms, peppercorns, cinnamon, and cloves. Simmer for a good half hour. Strain off the resulting stock and set aside (drink some of this, it is the Nectar of the Gods, trust me). So you now have the stock and the drained chic peas. Heat up the oil and fry the rest of the onion, and garlic, until golden brown. Add the paprika, turmeric, cumin powder, and coriander powder. Now add the chic peas and fry on a medium-high heat, stirring and mixing and lifting very gently. Do this for at least ten minutes, and do not skip this part. It is hard work, but it is a crucial step in making the gravy. People often skip this step and complain that their channa masala was thin. It was thin because they skipped the ten minutes of chic pea frying. Now mix in the coriander leaves, garam masala, and lemon juice. Now add as much of the stock as you need to make a thick gravy. Taste for salt and lemon juice. Eggplant/Aubergine Curry:Lots of eggplant. About 700g.Olive oil2 teaspoons turmeric powder8 cloves2 teaspoons cumin powder2 teaspoons coriander powder12 black peppercorns2 inches ginger (chopped finely)1 teaspoon chilli powderBunch of coriander leaves (chopped)5 tomatoesSalt to taste.5 cup lemon juiceCut the eggplant up into squares and soak in cold water. heat oil and fry all of the spices for five minutes. Add the tomatoes, salt, and eggplant. Stir for five minutes. Add the lemon juice. Cover, and cook slowly until the eggplant is cooked.Check on it to make sure it is not sticking to the bottom of the pan. This dish is quite sour, and makes a good match with a sweeter curries. Nepali Vegetable Curry:Olive oil2 onions (chopped)2 bay leaves, broken up1 teaspoon ground black pepperGreen chillis to taste12 cloves garlic, chopped3 inches ginger, chopped1 teaspoon turmeric powderSalt to tasteBunch of coriander leaves, chopped.4 teaspoons coriander seeds2 teaspoons cumin seedsNow vegetables! Chopped up. About 1kg or more in total. It's up to you which ones you use. But when we made this we used (I think ¦we just grabbed whatever looked fun):SquashBrocoliPotatoTaro rootLeekCarrotsLong string beany thingsFresh beetroot (This is amazing! Use this!)Heat oil and fry onion until golden brown. Add bay leaves, pepper, chillis, garlic, turmeric, and salt. Add a splash or two of water and then add your root vegetables. Fry-boil for ten minutes or so. Add everything else and enough water so that things are sort of covered. Cook on a low heat until the vegetables are cooked. When you add the different vegetables depends on what vegetables you have and how you like them. For example, we like our broccoli to be fresh and crunchy, so we add it at the very end.

Madman Munt wrote:Seby wrote:3 tins of chic peas This iz what Nile Rodgers has for his dinner.Seby wrote:(not fresh ones unless you have a lot of time on your hands - look up how to deal with them. "Just soaking" is lies. You will need a pressure cooker)Not sure that this is the truth. Do you mean dried CPs? And how were chic peas prepared before the invention of the the pressure cooker?Soak overnight, boil hard 20 mins, simmer 80 mins is what the packet said last time I checked. I am not a Certified CP Master and I'll bet this is not the optimum method of dealing with the little buggers, but it provides such a perfectly adequate result that I have not been tempted to explore the matter further.I shall give this a solid go, again. But I have done this exactly, and then simmered for hours, and they have never softened properly. Sorry yes! By "fresh" I meant "dried", which is not fresh of course.

Here's the most bang-for-your-effort pudding you can make, I think. I might even prefer it to an egg custard. Blood orange posset 2 blood oranges 1 lemon 500ml double cream 120g caster sugar 1 vanilla pod (I often use essence, but pod is better) Zest oranges- save 1 tsp of zest. Microplane is great for this. Squeeze juices of oranges & lemon. Put cream then sugar in pan. Slit and scrape seeds of vanilla pod and place both in pan. Turn heat to low and add orange zest. Slowly bring to boil then simmer for 2 mins. Remove from heat and whisk in the juices of orange and lemon. Pass through a fine sieve into a jug. Pour into your moulds, ramekins, little cups, mini bowls, whatever. A small glass is nice. Chill in fridge for 4 hrs. Eat with a little spoon.Try it with normal oranges, too. You can also make it with just lemons, adding extra sugar, but I'm not too keen on that.

This recipe is super, super good. I added a few cups of barley after blending to give it a bit more textural and nutritional heft, which I'd strongly recommend. http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1013 ... -chipotlesWinter is a good time for kale salads, which are easy to prepare in large batches due to kale's hardiness. Throw a couple tablespoons of mayonnaise, the juice and zest of one lemon, a squirt of grainy mustard, a pinch of salt and pepper, and as many cloves of minced or mashed fresh or roasted garlic as you'd like into a small bowl, whisk together, and toss that over a large amount of coarsely-chopped kale leaves. A little dressing goes a long way, since the kale softens without really absorbing much dressing. If you're using curly kale, you have to let this sit for basically a day; other kale will be ready within about an hour. I like to top mine with some toasted seeds or nuts (just throw 'em in a nonstick pan on medium heat with no oil and wait til they start to brown), dried cranberries, and quick-pickled red onions.Those quick-pickled onions, by the way, I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned, but I love them. Slice up red onions nice and thin, and put them in a glass container that you'd like to store in your fridge. Make enough brine mix to cover them in the following proportions: 2 parts water, 1 part cider vinegar, 1/6-1/4 parts each salt and sugar. If you wanna really go buck you can toss a few peppercorns in, and maybe a bay leaf if you're willing to pluck it out. Then just pour this over the onions and let 'em sit. There's a few other ways you can do this - personally, I boil the water and vinegar, then add the salt and sugar, then cover the onions. Some people blanch the onions first. Whatever works. You can use the brine in salad dressings or even reuse it a couple of times, unless it starts to look cloudy. (I've actually been recycling about half of the brine every time I make a new batch; I adjust the vinegar level upward for the added liquid and keep the salt and sugar about the same, boil it all together, and then make a new batch. Been doing that for about 18 months now and it hasn't killed me yet, so.)Sam can you cook yet
Marsupialized wrote:You are shitting me

Best thing to do with an aubergine (or fuggin' eggplant as it is to most of you):Ingredients 4 long, thin-skinned purple aubergines (alternatively use the ordinary plump, pear-shaped variety available from most supermarkets) 1-2 garlic cloves, finely chopped handful parsley leaves, finely chopped 5-6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil a little sea salt and black pepper 150g/5oz feta cheese lemons, for servingMethod Preheat the grill to high. Run a small, sharp knife round the top of the aubergine, 1cm/ ½in or so below the stalk and only just cutting through the skin; then make four evenly spaced, similarly shallow cuts, along the length of the aubergine right down to the end. Grill the aubergines for about 20 minutes, turning every 5-7 minutes or so, until evenly cooked with charred skin, and until the aubergine feels soft, but not too collapsed within. In the case of the purple aubergines, the skin will also have turned a dull brown colour. Transfer to a large, oval, white plate and allow to cool for two minutes. Peel away the aubergine skin in four long, narrow sheets using a small knife. Without cutting right through the stalk end, cut the aubergines in half lengthways and gently prise apart until you have two horizontal halves remaining attached at the top end Mix the garlic and parsley with the olive oil until well combined and spoon the mixture over the aubergine. Season lightly with salt (not too much - the cheese is salty anyway) and pepper, and crumble the feta cheese over the top. If liked, trickle over more olive oil to finish. Serve warm, or at room temperature with lemon squeezed over.This is from The Good Cook by Simon Hopkinson (highly recommended, one of the best selections of simple, precise recipes I've come across). Here he shows you how it's done:phpBB [media]

Dauphinoise Potatoes4 large potatoes, sliced approximately 5mm thick3 cloves garlic, chopped finely1/2 pint double creamSalt and pepper Layer the sliced potatoes in a baking dish, after each layer sprinkle some chopped garlic and add a little salt and pepper. Repeat until all your potatoes and garlic are in the dish. Pour the cream over it all. Stick it in the oven for about 45 minutes at 160-180c. It will be delicious.
"Why stop now, just when I'm hating it?" - Marvin