Re: Interesting Gear Developments Thread

Garth wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:11 am Since I haven't even considered live sound for over a year, this isn't new and will only be of interest to a very small amount of you but EV now has some affordable coaxial floor monitors: PXM-12MP.
Big fan of coax speakers for many reasons, so I'm making plans to transition to these asap. Reviews so far have been stellar.
The idea of active wedges in environments where anybody can access the stage makes me feel super anxious.

numberthirty wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:33 pm
the letter o wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:28 pm I suppose it was only a matter of time...

http://www.ehx.com/products/nano-deluxe-memory-man/
Back in the "Classic Coke..." days, I'm pretty sure that I brought up that I can practically break new EHX pedals by looking at them.

I feel like I could break that one simply by walking into the room it is in without actually making eye contact.
Even still, I'm very interested in what is going on inside that thing. Dr. Balls posted a build not long ago of an analog (BBD) memory man clone that is about as close as you can get with available DIY tech. It's a helluva circuit, but I imagine smd parts could shrink it down a lot. Despite the old delay chips being reissued, the build is fairly expensive when not scaled to mass production.

So if the guts are good, it might be worth using it from a pillowed box.

VaticanShotglass wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:18 pm
the letter o wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:28 pm I suppose it was only a matter of time...

Nano DMM
Back in the "Classic Coke..." days, I'm pretty sure that I brought up that I can practically break new EHX pedals by looking at them.

I feel like I could break that one simply by walking into the room it is in without actually making eye contact.
Even still, I'm very interested in what is going on inside that thing. Dr. Balls posted a build not long ago of an analog (BBD) memory man clone that is about as close as you can get with available DIY tech. It's a helluva circuit, but I imagine smd parts could shrink it down a lot. Despite the old delay chips being reissued, the build is fairly expensive when not scaled to mass production.

I was coming here to post the new tiny DMM. I have owned a vintage unit for 20 years and have had a hard time finding another delay I've liked as much despite some shortcomings of the circuit. At $200 I'm definitely going to try one. I'll probably hold out for a demo unit. And I'll definitely review it here once I do, because I have LOTS OF THOUGHTS about the different iterations of the Memory Many lineage and some clone-like pedals trying to be it.

I welcome this little nano guy.
self: https://tommiles.bandcamp.com/
old: https://shiiin.bandcamp.com/

Adam P wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:07 pm The idea of active wedges in environments where anybody can access the stage makes me feel super anxious.
Fair point. This isn't an issue I've faced personally using powered speakers as monitors, but the ZLX-12Ps have the control surface mostly obscured behind the back so they aren't easily visible/accessible without physically moving the speaker. Still no one I've ever done sound for or even audience members have messed w/ any controls.

I will say that the placement around the side of the PXMs would probably at least keep audience access obscured, but not from a singer mad that they can't get enough of themselves in the monitors? So that does seem like an opportunity for someone like Decksaver to build an acrylic shield to cover these spaces maybe - most of these powered speakers seem to do their heat dissipation via the front porting and looking closely at the photos on the EV site, I have to suspect this is same case here.

Regardless, I'm a long, long ways from having $4000 to splash out on new monitors, especially since I'm using venue-owned equipment almost entirely anymore...but based on my personal experiences I am honestly not too terribly worried about having the controls exposed anyway. An audience member (or even a band member) messing w/ controls would be castigated and ejected...and possibly putting their own safety in jeopardy in this situation. *shrug

VaticanShotglass wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:18 pm

FWIW, I've been using some of those new EHX synth pedals on my various boards for several years without issue. Not sure if their build quality has gotten better or I'm just lucky.
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com

I should’ve noted that my comment wasn’t intended as criticism, in case it wasn’t clear. Just my own brand of “worst case scenario” anxiety, similar to when I see my kids running full tilt downhill on our concrete driveway. My concern would be more around the inadvertent than the intentional, really.

That said, as I was looking at and acquiring more PA hear pre-pandemic, I definitely started warming to the idea of active speakers. I feel like they probably lend themselves more to semi-fixed installs, though…running speaker cables from an amp rack seems much easier than running power all over the place.