Portland

Give me a lobster roll.
Total votes: 10 (67%)
Let me get an IPA.
Total votes: 5 (33%)
Total votes: 15

Re: Portland: Maine Vs Oregon

I lived in Portland, OR for a spell in the mid-90s, which undoubtedly colors my opinion, although I haven't visited since 2011. The last time I was in Portland, ME was 2015. Portland, ME is a nice enough city, I suppose, but what struck me about it was how tiny it felt. Within an afternoon, I felt like I'd seen just about everything worth seeing and that knew my way around. (And that's taking into account South Portland, too.) I think if I lived there I would be overwhelmed by the small towniness of it mixed with the hyper-touristy-ness of it. So Portland, OR, easily. I like the weather better, I love the flora of the Pacific Northwest, I love Powell's books. The city has lost a lot of the scrappy charm it had when I lived there, but than Portland, Maine isn't any less bourgie in my experience. I think it might even be more expensive, although I could be wrong.

twelvepoint wrote: Austin later upped the ante with the "Don't move here" campaign. Wasn't planning to move to a city with no walkability in the middle of a theocratic death-cult state, but I hear the food trucks are good.
twelvepoint wrote:Sorry, that was a little harsh
Nah, you were correct. Also, a 'small city' with big city prices and traffic jams, woohoo.
Music

Krev wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:36 pm I think Portland, OR is better than its neighbor to the north, where I reside.
That could be. I haven't been up to Seattle in a few years. West coast cities kinda suck in general. I think I prefer Minneapolis or Milwaukee for pure city experiences.

The proximity of SEA to Olympic NP, Alpine Lakes Wilderness, Glacier Peak Wilderness and North Cascades NP is a big plus.

The proximity of PDX to Mt Hood, Three Sisters Wilderness, the Gorge and Mt. St. Helens area is a plus - as is the proximity to some of the better high-desert.

We're probably about equidistant from Rainier, Goat Rocks, Mt Adams. And being less than a day's drive from the Wallowas and northern CA coast is nice too. The Wallowas are a goddamn treasure - like a mini-High Sierras in your backyard.

Geiginni wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:08 pm The Wallowas are a goddamn treasure - like a mini-High Sierras in your backyard.
I'd never heard of these before and looked them up. Wow.

One of the things that keeps me here is knowing that I've only seen a tiny fraction of the beauty in this country.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

The outdoor experiences and beauty will keep me here, despite my misgivings with Portland and the often cold, cloudy, damp conditions 8 months of the year.

I'm trying to toughen up and be less afraid of rain and snow in the wilderness. I'd like to move prime backpacking seasons out to include May through end of October rather than the core July-September months most folks limit themselves to.

penningtron wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:12 pm a 'small city' with big city prices and traffic jams, woohoo.
That sums up my hometown all to well. I'd love to check out Portland Maine someday. I called PDX home for 43 years.

Not voting due to jaded hometown bias. And lack of knowledge. Love seeing peoples opinions of PDX, regardless of which way they lean.

IPA? Used to be THE WEINHARDS TOWN. The area around Powells (Brewery Blocks) reeked of malt year round.
Anthony Flack wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:05 pm kiss Joe Manchin's coal mine