Re: Cooking tips, recipes, ideas, etc.

rsmurphy wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:56 pm word

I've also been on a canned fish tear: high quality sardines, herring, smoked oysters and such. Any recipes/tasty combos are much appreciated. Will soon be introducing oysters to air frying. Looks yummy.
tbone wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:58 pm I imagine at some point as a practicality we will all start assuming that this is probably the last thing we gotta mail to some asshole.

enframed wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:30 am As far as tips, get a bottle of fish sauce, keep it in the fridge. Put a couple dashes on every-fucking-thing you cook. Game changer.
Not my brand but I get it.

During 'rona times, I did some serious deep diving into the Woks of Life website. I was motivated mainly by a frustration of my lack of ability to make Chinese and Thai food that approximated what I could get in good restaurants. I'm a decent home cook and white American with zero family or friend history of these styles of cooking. It has been a complete game changer for me. It has also gotten my kid, whose plates generally run the full spectrum of brown-to-white, to actually eat large amounts of vegetables. So great.

Anyone out there doing breads? I think we had a thread that was exclusively breads back in ye olden tymes? I got into sourdough back in 2019. I was working fully remote then but I'm hybrid now and my schedule doesn't always line up with the multi-day process of boules and baguettes. Even like 5 years later I still have mixed results, although even my standard of "mediocre" is a lot better than most store-bought stuff.

Last year I got into making croissants and they came out pretty decent, eventually! I tinkered a bunch with technique, temperature and recipes. Definitely a lot harder than breadmaking.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com

twelvepoint wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:56 am Anyone out there doing breads? I think we had a thread that was exclusively breads back in ye olden tymes? I got into sourdough back in 2019. I was working fully remote then but I'm hybrid now and my schedule doesn't always line up with the multi-day process of boules and baguettes. Even like 5 years later I still have mixed results, although even my standard of "mediocre" is a lot better than most store-bought stuff.

Last year I got into making croissants and they came out pretty decent, eventually! I tinkered a bunch with technique, temperature and recipes. Definitely a lot harder than breadmaking.
I still make bread pretty frequently! Mostly commercial yeast stuff, but my great-grandmother's sourdough starter is still in the fridge waiting to be reawakened. Perhaps it's time.

I've spent the last couple of weeks hunting down recipes on instagram. Had a couple of real winners, including the one that I posted in this thread.

Also, here's this:

tbone wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:58 pm I imagine at some point as a practicality we will all start assuming that this is probably the last thing we gotta mail to some asshole.

The narration for the wonton recipe is insane. Gonna have to follow that account.

Yeah I was pretty into boules and baguettes for a while, but I got a little lazy with stuff like not feeding my starter enough, and rushing some things, usually due to time constraints, and my quality suffered. Changes in weather can really mess up timing too of course. I should buy or make a proofer someday, although it's more likely I want to proof COLDER, but my fridge is too cold.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com

There are a million fresh pasta recipes out there. The one I usually use is 4 whole eggs to 3 cups good flour, with some flour and water on the side as needed. A little salt and oil as well for while the pasta is coming together. I salt liberally - it makes the rest of the ingredients pop a little more.

Get the flour, make a well, get the eggs in there, whisk with a fork until its coming together enough to knead. It's gonna be a little messy, no way around that. I wear gloves if I think of it, but non essential. Knead for 8ish minutes. Cover with a towel, set aside for 30 mins and come back. Roll out to make whatever flat noodles you want. I have a cheap pasta maker machine that I got like 10 years ago that will cut the noodles into spaghetti, angel hair or fettucine. I've also just rolled with a roller and cut by hand.

You can make an excellent meal on the cheap with a little butter, garlic, chicken, noodles and cream. Or just butter, garlic and white wine. Or tomatoes. Or basil/butter/pesto. Or whatever the fuck you have around that tastes good with noods.

Really allows versatility if you're out of something as essential as pasta and can just make it with 40 mins of lead time.

Do not recommend for carb counters. Could break your will as it breaks mine. Fresh noodles are super delish.

twelvepoint wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:21 pm The narration for the wonton recipe is insane. Gonna have to follow that account.

Yeah I was pretty into boules and baguettes for a while, but I got a little lazy with stuff like not feeding my starter enough, and rushing some things, usually due to time constraints, and my quality suffered. Changes in weather can really mess up timing too of course. I should buy or make a proofer someday, although it's more likely I want to proof COLDER, but my fridge is too cold.
All of that Instagram user's recipes are really good, but yes, the commentary is very strange.